Dropping a few pounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping a few pounds

I'm about to add a couple of subs and another amp to my stereo setup, which will probably add about 35-40 pounds to the car. I was just wondering about some ways to lighten the car a little to help counteract the added weight. I know of a few things, like removing the spare, but let's not get dumb, this is a daily-driven car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

If its a daily driven car then why are you worrying about pounds? OH NO, my daily driver weights 3340lbs instead of 3300lbs! Your not going to race it.. you already are adding weight to it.

Plus my car is a daily driver and I took out my spare and jack I just throw them in the car if I go on long trips, otherwise I have a friend bring me my spare.
    00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

honestly if it's strickly a daily driver, i wouldn't be worried about an extra 50lbs. when/if you go to the track, remove the subs/amps etc. there's not really much you can remove from the car & still keep it a nice daily driver....unless you don't mind driving around without a backseat, carpet, plastic trim etc :D

here's magnus' weightlist, just to give you an idea:

http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/weightlist.htm

one thing you could do, is remove the engine lift point brackets. they're worth about 7lbs at the most for the both of them. depending on emissions in your state, you could also remove your emission controls...egr, piping going to your gas tank, evap canister etc.

--matt

Comment

or just loose 25lbs off your gut :D

--matt

Comment

sound deadening material and carpet weigh approx 40lbs [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]
          -Aaron, AKA ATL2001<br />93 3.4L <br /><a href=\"http://www.ilfba.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ilfba.com</a>

Comment

Ok, awesomeamos and reo......or retard or whatever your name is, yes it is a daily driven car, but weight is still a factor. Two words: FUEL COMSUMPTION. Thanx Studly, so far you are the only one who has come up with what even resembles an intelligent reply.

[ December 28, 2003: Message edited by: memphis_raines ]</p>
            2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by awesomeame:
              here's magnus' weightlist, just to give you an idea:

http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/weightlist.htm

one thing you could do, is remove the engine lift point brackets. they're worth about 7lbs at the most for the both of them. depending on emissions in your state, you could also remove your emission controls...egr, piping going to your gas tank, evap canister etc.

--matt
              <hr></blockquote>

i thought that was pretty intelligent.

--matt

Comment

well awesome, that comment I made was mostly directed at Rice Burner or whatever his name is. I didn't mention the fact that I'm working on getting the car ready for the strip next spring. At least you did try to help answer my question, whereas he replied just to be sarcastic. I hate people who do that. thanks

[ December 28, 2003: Message edited by: memphis_raines ]</p>

Comment

Ok if you really want me to go get a formula for FUEL CONSUMPTION for you.. your added weight of the subs won't change your fuel consumption worth a damn. If your worried about .05 of a gallon you need to sell that car and go buy a VW golf. Of all the things you could have said to make you sound intelligent bringing up fuel consumption as a major concern after adding 50lbs to the car is NOT one of them.

Dear god I wouldn't want to put a backpack or luggage in your car.. it could CRIPPLE YOUR FUEL CONSUMPTION [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]
                  00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

RiceBurner, you probably have to have a formula to wipe your *** . If the only thing you can do is post those pitiful sarcastic remarks, go someplace else. It's a pretty simple equation, the heavier a car is, the more fuel it consumes. Like I said, go someplace else and leave the formulas to those of us who aren't so "cerebrally challenged".

Comment

If fuel consumption is that big of a worry, I honestly doubt 50 lbs is going to make much difference. In all honesty, that's like have 1/3 of a passenger, it's not going to change anything you could notice or measure. Maybe 5 less highway miles for a whole tank of gas. That was ReodDai's reason for being a little sarcastic. Atacking people isn't going to get your questions answered either, it just gets your thread off topic.
                      Anyways, you could just leave everything normal for daily driving. Then before you hit the track is when you could spend a few hours beforehand taking a few things out. That's what I believe most do is just take all the extra stuff out before hitting the track, and leaving the amenities in for daily driving. I guess it all depends on what your comfort level is for a daily driver.
                      Another thing you could do to counteract the extra weight is to remove the Tornado thing you have listed in your sig. It's been proven many times that they are more of an obstruction in your intake path than a helper (a search would back that up). Free flowing all the way though would give you a few more ponies to counteract the weight.
                      AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

Not sure how you managed to mess up a name that was printed infront of you.. and twist it into RiceBurner, but if it makes you feel better go for it. Once again my simple point is if weight is an issue why are you putting in subs? A car with a system in it should not be worrying about weight.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X