Car is running like ***... any thoughts? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car is running like ***... any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car is running like ***... any thoughts?

I am leaning towards a bad CAT? My first one took a dump at 35k. I am now at 71k, so its about on task, since it was a dealer replacement CAT. Car studders, floor it, has no power... I barely could make it up to 55 mph for a 70 mile trip to get home.

Light is not blinking like misfires...

I just hooked hptuners up to see what SES I got... I was expecting maybe a bad CAT but got...

P0172 - Fuel Trim System Rich Bank 1 (Old) (Immature)
    P0404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Open Position Performance (SES) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)

WTF, mate?

Re: Car is running like ***... any thoughts?

Replace your EGR is what I would do. That should fix both of them
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
      Replace your EGR is what I would do. That should fix both of them

EGR is causing my car to run this bad? I mean I cannot get even half throttle car's exhaust note changed, I hear some rattles(could be a heatshield or bad cat) car is running warmer then normal. I mean I honestly could not get the car up to 70 mph today. I woudln't think an EGR woudl do that but I may be wrong...

can I just !EGR then? I am commuting from orlando to daytona for work like 5-6 days a week really need the car running.

trying to get a quick answer, I want to go to bed because I have a 12 hour day of work 70 miles away. I am about to sawzaw my y-pipe then unhook the i-pipe at the factory point, which will suck on the highway... but I need a car.

Comment

first try cleaning the EGR, then we can move onto testing electrical. you rich code will not cycle into a test again until the egr code is resolved so you could still have a rich problem.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

yes a faulty egr can cause severe drive-ability concerns and even cause the car to die. crazy huh? :D

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
            yes a faulty egr can cause severe drive-ability concerns and even cause the car to die. crazy huh? :D
            what about removed EGR? without blockoff plates(short term fix till tomorrow night) Or I delete any EGR codes out... would either affect it?

Comment

also... in theory wouldn't a clogged cat maybe keep excess pressure in the exhaust/cylinders which would lead to my higher temps, and maybe a rick condition?

Comment

yes a clogged system could cause rich codes but I doubt only on one side and yes it can cause higher temps.

this is why i love my pacesetter y-pipe so much. it has a bung infront of the cat so i can quickly hook up a back pressure tester and see if the cat is clogging. :)

Comment

Try a thorough cleaning of it before going to replace it. The EGR that is.

Comment

well I cut the y-pipe, and got the cat off... its rattling and gray pixie dust is coming out, I am going too put the y back on and go for a drive... hopefully I am right or I made a pain in my ***...

P.S. I would yank the EGR before I replaced it... no emissions testing and I have HP tuners... and EGRs are expensive.

Comment

definitely the CAT, car runs great.... well lack of back pressure torqueless but peppy up top. no more SES (surprisingly since the post cat o2 is just unplugged)

Comment

your egr has taken a crap on ya, yank it off, block it up and tune the code out. My friends blazer just had an egr poop out and was doing the same things as your car
                        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
                          your egr has taken a crap on ya, yank it off, block it up and tune the code out. My friends blazer just had an egr poop out and was doing the same things as your car

It was my CAT.

Comment

Originally posted by DAS BOOT
                            It was my CAT.
                            really wow, even with the egr code? You sure it might not have been both acting up? Unless having the cat plugged caused pressure on the egr to stick open or something and trip the code. That could be why that was tripped. Good to hear it is running better again
                            http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Same thing happened to me eric... I took a 2" hole saw and drilled a hole in front of my cat one night and took it for a drive to see if that was the problem, sure as sh!t.. the car ran like a bat outa hell.

stupid F'in clogged cats
                              *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X