Fuel Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump?

ok before i parked my car the fuel pump acted up right. it all of the sudden just died. i figured that the pump went out. well i decided to check all wires and stuff. fuse was blown. anyway i put a new fuse in and it fired right up. drove it off the trailer and it died again. put a new fuse in it and brought it in the shop at our house. well i looked at the wires to see if ANY were grounding out and none were. well i pulled off the fuel filter and it was almost plugged solid. i couldn't barely blow through it. well anyway i put a new filter on and fired it up. sputtered a bit then ran like a champ. hasn't acted up since and it's been almost 4.5 months. what might have caused this and does anybody think i should just change the pump anyway? the car has only 42K miles on it. anybody know? [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    2000 Grand Prix GTP- Bronzemist Metallic: K&N Fenderwell Intake,3.4\" Thrasher Pulley, v1.0 DHP PCM, 3\" Mandrel Bent DP,Ubend Delete,Dynomax SuperTurbos, 180* Thermostat.<br />Soon to come: ZZP SSIntercooler or N20 or both:)

IMO changing the pump wouldn't hurt, if you have the money, could be bad gas too, what grade and brand gas are you using? When you get up near the 75,XXX mile range it is time for a nice tune-up anyways.
    Stephen Cruikshank<br /><br />Selling some stuff so all I have left is the FRA, !MAF Screen, whisper lid, Holley PowerShot, 3\" catback, and 160* thermo on the car<br /><br />I Practice Street S.M.A.R.T.S. - do you?

Comment

Sounds like bad gas or contaminated tank (most likely the former though. might check your filter every couple weeks for a couple months to see if you're still getting dirty).

If it is bad gas and you get your fuel from the same place all the time though, time to switch gass stations because their tanks are contaminated.

Fuel pump upgrade isn't a bad way to go wither if you're up for it. You can get a walbro new for $99 and if you plan on any power-adders in the future it's almost necessary. (I said almost...)

EDIT: also, if your filter was that dirty, probably wouldn't hurt to run a bottle or two of fuel injector cleaner & sea foam through the car as precausionary measures. Less than $10 for a piece of mind...

[ December 23, 2003: Message edited by: staticpike ]</p>

Comment

Umm, the problem was probably the fuel filter. Filters do get clogged up and dirty after a while. Yours might of never been changed before. If your fuel pump was bad, beleive me you would know it. I doubt it would be going out as early as 42k miles. I don't know how well you are with money and all, if you want to change it go ahead, it's pretty stupid to waste that money on the install and a new pump.

Comment

i was pretty much thinking of not changing it and seeing if it goes out down the road. if it does i'll change it myself. i have a friend who's a damn good mechanic and he'll help me change it for a case of beer. anyway i was wondering if there is some thing in my pump that kicks a fuse if the pressure in the line gets too great like when i found out the filter was plugged? anyway thanks for the help guys. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
          2000 Grand Prix GTP- Bronzemist Metallic: K&N Fenderwell Intake,3.4\" Thrasher Pulley, v1.0 DHP PCM, 3\" Mandrel Bent DP,Ubend Delete,Dynomax SuperTurbos, 180* Thermostat.<br />Soon to come: ZZP SSIntercooler or N20 or both:)

Comment

You'll only blow a fuse for the pump if it starts pulling to much current. I'm not sure that it would draw much current if it started to overwork itself... I dunno... To answer your quesiton as best I can though - If line pressure gets too high, I believe you're just going to burn up your pump.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X