Hard Starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Starting

96 camaro. Recently the car has been harder to start, meaning that I have to crank it over for more than a second for it to start. The belt tensioner was just replaced. It has been colder lately, could that be a contributing factor? Any ideas?
    1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

its not as simple as something like the battery?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gregmondro:
      its not as simple as something like the battery?<hr></blockquote>

Maybe? I haven't looked indepth into it yet. It's actually my girlfriend'd car, so I haven't really had a chance to look at it. I plan on working on it Friday, so I was hoping for any suggestions that I might overlook. I plan on checking the battery and alternator. I was thinking that if it wasn't either of those it is probably the starter. I can't think of any other possibilities off hand. Thanks.
      1996 Camaro w/ Y87 package. T-Tops, purple, loaded. Custom painted salad-shooters with Mirage paint.<br /><br />(It\'s my girlfriends car!)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JoshMcMadMac:

Maybe? I haven't looked indepth into it yet. It's actually my girlfriend'd car, so I haven't really had a chance to look at it. I plan on working on it Friday, so I was hoping for any suggestions that I might overlook. I plan on checking the battery and alternator. I was thinking that if it wasn't either of those it is probably the starter. I can't think of any other possibilities off hand. Thanks.
        <hr></blockquote>

how are you going to check the alternator?
        the autozone tests dont always work
        on my dsm they hooked it up, had me rev it, did the test and they concluded that my battery was bad.

needless to say, it wasn't. I replaced the alternator the next day.

Comment

btw
          check the spark plugs
          make sure that none of them are fouled
          make sure that the wires are plugged in properly at both ends and make sure that they arent swollen anywhere

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gregmondro:
            btw
            check the spark plugs
            make sure that none of them are fouled
            make sure that the wires are plugged in properly at both ends and make sure that they arent swollen anywhere
            <hr></blockquote>

Good idea. They should all be less than a year old, so if there is anything out of the ordinary I should probably be pretty apparent. Thanks for the help.

Comment

If it is the plugs/wires, any suggestions on good replacements? I read an article awhile back in some car magazine that tested plugs/wires and managed real hp gains. 5hp just from plugs/wires is a big deal if you ask me! Is there any particular brand or supplier that would work best?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X