coolant temperature sending unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant temperature sending unit

Hello I have a 94 3.4 camaro.Here lately when I crank my car sometimes it idles at around 2000 rpms in park and 1500 rpms in gear.I can turn it off then back on then it acts normal.(guage works fine)I was told this could be the coolant temperature sending unit.Does this sound like the culprit and do you have to take it out of the car to check it.I did the ohms test while it was in the car and it was way off.I put one of the leads on the unit and the other on the positive battery cable is this right.Also to make sure there is only one of these coolant temperature sending units on the 3.4 camaros.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    It isnt throwing any codes.

Re: coolant temperature sending unit

This might not be what it is but I really need to find out so does anyone have a guess.

Comment

Your thermostat can be bad. When I’d drive my old Camaro for about an hour in my RPM’s would be higher than normal, say a good 500 higher than normal at 65 MPH. Say my IDLE was 900, and it sat on for 5 minutes with a broken thermostat it would increase to 1400 easily. Take it to someplace you trust to get looked at, it’s a $60 job.

** edit: my temp gauge worked initially, but it wouldn't register how hot my engine was because of the malfunctioning thermostat. Once they replaced the thermostat the gauge registered everything.

Comment

I was looking around and it could be the coolant temperature sensor.My car idles high when you first start it and doesnt go down until you shut it off.Does any one know what the resistance should be on the sensor.
        Thanks for the help.

Comment

Someone please help me out I cant figure out what it is.

Comment

I would replace your temp senror it shouldnt cos toy more than 20 dollarsa better thnan going to a dealership for 80 dolars drunka aftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

My car is idling rough and running rich now.This morning hte rpms were normal but was shaking the car and running rich.

Comment

Maybe check your IAT sensor. It should be somewhat near your throttle body. There is another thing i was going to say to check, but my mind is drawing a blank right now
                Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

The IAT (intake air temp sensor) is located in the intake elbow, just before the throttle body.

Id suggest you take a look at your TPS (throttle position sensor), IAC valve (Idle air control valve) or maybe even a MAP sensor. could be a vaccum leak as well. that you can use a vaccum tester on and see if the system is not leaking.

Is the car running rough at any other time? any hesitation, misfires, etc? O2 sensors somewhat new?
                  Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

I cleaned out the IAC valve and it idled really low at first and would die if I let off the gas.After I drove it it started to act normal and now it idles smooth.Thanks to everybody for then help.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X