Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C Delete

'97 3800, removing the a/c.

After you remove the 4 bolts holding it in. What way do you bang on it with a rubber mallet to get that thing to budge out of there?

Dan, why did you have to go to sleep. :P

Re: A/C Delete

........had missed a bolt, let ya know how it goes/went in a few minutes.

Comment

After removing the 5th bolt, and a 6th bolt (this one just held the two pulleys together) I have been wiggling it since I made my last post, minus 3 minutes to remove the 5th and 6th bolt and it still isn't coming out.

Is there some technique on how to remove it? Pull down with all your might? Push up with all your might? I tried pulling straight forward with as much might as I could get via the position I was in, but it didn't eve budge a smidget.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Edit: A hungry stomach, some bloody knuckles, and a 7th bolt later it finally fell out. So, I guess I can finally say "A/C Deleted"

Now I'm working on getting the heater core and the rest of the hoses out and I will have a nice clear space in my engine bay.

Edit, Edit: I'm going to Waffle House, meet me there if you're hungry.
      Last edited by Vanquish; 12-29-2006, 06:13 AM.

Comment

There is a bolt that has a ground wire and nut on the end of it. it is near the top of the AC below the exhaust manifolds. I had to use a wrench but you might get a socket to fit. After that it slid right out :tup:

Comment

Why are you removing the a/c???

And why in the middle of the night???

Comment

Originally posted by nascar24jd
            Why are you removing the a/c???

And why in the middle of the night???
            why not remove the ac? lose some weight, and lose the few hp it robs by means of the serp belt.

Comment

Well, if he is making a race car then I understand it. If not, I do not. Even up north the summer can get quite hot. A/C is a good thing. What are you saving, 100 pounds??? Not at all worth it in my opinion.

Comment

me either my a/c is out and i wish i had it it does not do a damn thing as far as power goes and if ur so concerned about it just turn it off when ur gonna race it doesnt make no diff with or without maybe a lil bit but nothing noticible like nascar24 said not worth it. ull regret it next time its hot

Comment

in my case...it will be worth it, the engine bay room you gain alone is great.

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
                    in my case...it will be worth it, the engine bay room you gain alone is great.
                    Exactly, it frees up so much room and a good little bit of weight. I'm immune to hot anyways, it's the cold weather I don't like. Secondly, it's not my daily driver, and even when it was, I can't remember the last time I used the a/c.

Roll the windows down, you'll be fine. Might get to your destination with a little bit of sweat on your back, but other than that it's all good.

I didn't do it in the middle of the night, I did it after 4 this morning, so it was in the morning. :)

And besides, if for some reason I ever want to put it back in, I still have it.

Also, that ground wire.....................grrrrrrrrr that ground wire, that's what I got bloody knuckles from, trying to use a combination wrench. Dan is right, AIR TOOLS FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish
                      Exactly, it frees up so much room and a good little bit of weight. I'm immune to hot anyways, it's the cold weather I don't like. Secondly, it's not my daily driver, and even when it was, I can't remember the last time I used the a/c.

Roll the windows down, you'll be fine. Might get to your destination with a little bit of sweat on your back, but other than that it's all good.

I didn't do it in the middle of the night, I did it after 4 this morning, so it was in the morning. :)

And besides, if for some reason I ever want to put it back in, I still have it.

Also, that ground wire.....................grrrrrrrrr that ground wire, that's what I got bloody knuckles from, trying to use a combination wrench. Dan is right, AIR TOOLS FTW!
                      their greatness can not be denied

Comment

So did you get the a/c delete bracket or a new belt? And if you want power that much you can just take ur belt off when at the track.

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
                        '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
                        '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

I haven't yet, but I will. It was a, everyone was going to bed, I was still awake and seemed like the thing to do at the time kind of deal.

My car isn't near ready to be started and driven around, so I have more than enough time to order the A/C delete kit from ZZP and all that jazz.

Edit: And it really isn't about the few hp you gain from it that I was worried about, it was the weight it eliminates and the free spaces it adds. I'm thinking about putting a mini-bar in all that extra room or something. :P

Comment

Mini bar cooled by your a/c? Oh wait!!;) Guess you have to cool the drinks with nitrous.:naughty:

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
                            '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
                            '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by FireBird_Fr3ak
                              So did you get the a/c delete bracket or a new belt? And if you want power that much you can just take ur belt off when at the track.
                              then you still have all the weight, plus if you dont have an Electric W/P I would NEVER take the belt off at the track.

but thats just me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X