Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• belt stops

NOT MY CAR

when we turn the car on it's ok. but when you turn on the defrost the serpt. belt stops all together and of course the battery starts to drain very fast. Think that this is just the altenator? cause when you turn off the deforst it's ok.
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Re: belt stops

the entire belt stops spinning? If the alt went, I dont see why the pulley wouldn't keep spinning, it just wouldn't be producing any more power.

Are all the other pulleys moving? Crank, WP, etc...Considering the crank pulley is what drives the belt, this sounds weird. Maybe I'm reading it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by kristen
      NOT MY CAR

when we turn the car on it's ok. but when you turn on the defrost the serpt. belt stops all together and of course the battery starts to drain very fast. Think that this is just the altenator? cause when you turn off the deforst it's ok.
      Well if the belt stops then obviously the battery is gonna drain because the altenator isnt moving
      and when you say you "turn of the defrost its ok" whats ok everything? does the battery still drain? If everything is fine until you turn the defrost on i dont think its your alternator. Its prob in your heating and cooling system
      what happens if you put on the air conditioner?

EDIT: Blown beat me to this post but yea it sounds like one of the belts is stopping when you turn on the heat

Comment

yea, that must be a hell of a problem, are all the other pulleys still spinning but the belt not moving?

Comment

Whenever the belt stops, is there a grinding noise, or a noise that indicates it wants to continue spinning?

For troubleshooting purposes only, go purchase a smaller belt and skip over the pulley and see if it stops whenever you turn your heater on. You can always return the belt.

Comment

it seems like one pulleys is not moving and its probably the heater

Comment

Kristen, we need answers to help.

Comment

I would say your air compressor is locked up. It turns on when you turn on you defrost no matter whether you are on air or heat. It is drying the air before you heat it.
                2000 Firebird A4, 3.42 LSD, K&N, Free Cold Air, PaceSetter, 3" in/out Catco, 3" S-Pipe, 3" Intermidiate Pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 80

Comment

Originally posted by gman2000
                  I would say your air compressor is locked up. It turns on when you turn on you defrost no matter whether you are on air or heat. It is drying the air before you heat it.
                  exactly

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

yep, turn the AC onto max, it'll probly do the same thing
                    Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                    Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Maybe a new serp belt is in order?
                      1999 Camaro V6 3.8L A4<br />Red, T-tops, Monsoon<br />No mods.......yet.

Comment

Yep thats it. Only its not an air compressor its a refrigeration compressor. My guess is the A/C had a leak and didnt work. All the freon/oil leaked out of it and it locked up so when the pully clutch ingages it stops spinning and stops the belt. You can unplug the power to the compressor at the plug right on the compressor. It will not stop the belt useing defrost if it is unplugged.

Comment

she stopped posting....i dont think its an issue anymore.

Comment

Well i would like to know what it was. =)

Comment

yep...

only thing it could be, if its realted to AC controls and the pulley stopping.

I know **** about fixing the compressor but sounds like what it is.

BTW I bet is smells great.... LOL burning belt.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X