Whining noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining noise?

This is in reference to a 1998 Firebird with the W68 Appearance Package, and everything bone stock.

Let me start out like this: I fill up for gas back home at a Shell station using the highest they have. Nearly a full tank was needed (~14 gal.).

So I was driving down the Jersey Turnpike to work when my Service Engine Soon light came on (~33 miles via trip). I paid no attention to it. I thought it would have been the gas cap not being on right, since no one seems to put it on right. But a little while down the RPM's were running about 400 - 500 higher than normal at a speed of ~70 MPH. I'm like alright, almost to work... only 5 miles to go until I'm there. Temperature was normal.

Now a mile to go down Route 18 and the ABS light comes on (~37 miles). I'm thinking to myself, "wonderful, what the hell?" (Anyone who knows anything about Route 18 near Rutgers University knows it's a death trap for any car that's low to the ground. Nothing but construction, pot holes, dips. All around hell. I'm just glad it hasn't snowed yet.)

I park the car as soon as I get to work and look at the breaks. (I've been having problems stopping the car at high speeds. The steering wheel would shake and felt like it would pull to the right. So in general I drive very slow in the car, maybe 5 miles over the speed limit in any case, usually under.) While looking at the breaks I notice a piece of black paper poking out form both sides of the rear breaks. It felt like very fine sand-paper.

* What is it and what would cause it to be sticking out like that?

I also checked the gas cap; it wasn't on right as I thought. But the check engine light was still on after putting it on right.

Anyway, I start the car up again because I had a good 30 minutes before I had to clock into work. The ABS light goes off after driving it in circles around the parking lot. The check engine light is still on. But with the windows down I can hear a whining noise from the left rear side of the car.

* What do you think could be the cause of the whining noise from the rear left side?

I checked the transmission fluid, antifreeze, and the oil. All is fine. The transmission fluid looks like it needs to be changed sooner or later. Hopefully later.

I also notice while driving, if I drive over any part of uneven road the right side of the car would always hit the ground regardless of the fact the left side is lower than the right. It has the W68 sports appearance package, which is what hits. I’m surprised it hasn’t broke off yet. It seems very durable.

* Would that be bad shocks or springs in the rear-right?

--- Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions?
    Last edited by IICODECll; 12-24-2006, 10:15 PM. Reason: (title had a typo)

Re: Whining noise?

any whining from the rear of the car is likely to be a fuel pump, could be going bad.

the "fine sand paper," comes on a lot of brakes if not all, nothing to be worried about.

but the ABS light, im lost? not sure why its coming on and off.

Take your car in to have the codes read for sure.

Comment

the ABS light is set off by the wheels moving at different speeds, and the car gets that information from the ABS sensor....so w/e you found on the outside of your wheel shouldn't have thrown an ABS code. More than likely, the ABS sensor is on the top of your pumpkin...undo a bolt and pull it out...may have to wipe the metal filings off of it

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
        any whining from the rear of the car is likely to be a fuel pump, could be going bad.
        Would that explain the ****ty gas milage as well? (~280 miles per tank, whereas the 1985 Camaro (v6) gets ~390 miles per tank)

Comment

well 280 miles is about right for a 3.4 but u have a 3.8...now...the whining noise could be in you differential...its probably a bearing thats beat up

Comment

Originally posted by nightrider2
            well 280 miles is about right for a 3.4 but u have a 3.8...now...the whining noise could be in you differential...its probably a bearing thats beat up
            that could be as well, without hearing the noise its tough to tell.... the differential and fuel pump are literarly right next to each other.

Comment

Remind me to never buy a used car from a private seller. This car is slowly going down the drain :(

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98

the "fine sand paper," comes on a lot of brakes if not all, nothing to be worried about.

but the ABS light, im lost? not sure why its coming on and off.

Take your car in to have the codes read for sure.
                I have never seen any kind of sand paper type substance on brakes.

Comment

its like a small Insert that is found on the outside of "stock" brake pads.

Comment

So is the paper is poking out/torn off do I need to replace them?

Comment

jack it up, take off the wheels, and check your breaks. check the pads for uneven wear, or if your rotors are warped. u might need an alingnment for the pulling the the right thing.

OR- the abs thing might just be messed up and thats why when u break it pulls to the right. abs system is hard to diaginose.
                      Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

It's at AAMCO right now gettting a rebuilt transmission. I'll look at the breaks when I get it back. Either that or I'll have them look at it while it's over there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X