Altenator Died Cause?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Altenator Died Cause?

I just got back from the track last night and this morning I went to go get a cup of coffee. Well i was driving down the highway and my speedo was like jumping from 40 to 60 really weird. My abs inop was on and my car sounded funny. I pulled over to the side and it wouldn't start back up. Looked at my power and it was in the red. We determined my altenator is done. It won't charge and the battery is alright. Everytime I drive my car really really hard. Something goes wrong, last few times my coils burned out. And my wires shorted. I just ran my car at the track last night and my altenator is shot. Could running it that hard be the cause? I really wish it didn't happen. Looks like that exhaust upgrade is getting farther away.

Ted

The rectifier bridge of my alternator died also one night in winter after hard driving (high rpms etc) - overheating...

The Delco-Remy CS-130 alternators of the 3.4
    just have too little cooling surface for the rectifier bridge. :(

Perhaps the 3.8 has a similar problem.

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: ChrisV6 ]</p>
    <a href=\"http://www.hubraum-statt-spoiler.com/transamrims2.jpg\" target=\"_blank\"><br />1994 Yellow Firebird 3.4L V6 5spd</a><br />Borla, RandomTech Cat, Morroso CAI, MSD DIS-4, MSD coils,ported TB, TB Bypass, relocated IAT, 180° Thermo, Eibach Pro Kit, Bilstein HDs, ES bushings,RAM HD clutch

Comment

Exact same altenator on my car, i beleive. Just took it off and i'm going to get a new one with lifetime guarantee. It probably was an overheating problem. I did 3 runs, it was kinda warm last night i'd say about 50degrees then it started getting colder. Oh well, **** happens right?

Ted

Comment

Check your alternator wire, my alternator stopped charigng after autocrossing one day. Turns out the wirte was corroded and the wire broke. i also had a similar problem with a lose battery cable. Clean and check alternator wire and the battery terminals.

Comment

Good deal man, thanks a lot for your guys help. I appreciate it.

Ted

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X