Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation Help

2 questions...
    For XMas i just got MSD Coilpacks, and was wondering if there was anything else i should/need to replace while putting the new ones on?

Second, I got some pacesetter headers and have heard how the gaskets are cheap, should I use them or get some different gaskets? if so what kind?

thanks
    1999 Camaro Z/28
    1973 Firebird Formula

Re: Installation Help

coil packs just simply swap.

some people have success with the pacesetter gaskets and soaking them overnight before installing in water. Others go for the best gaskets money can buy for our cars and get the abbotts racing gaskets.They are like $35 a set
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Stock GM replacements are the BEST in my opinion, cant be multi layered steel...ALSO YOU MUST GET STAGE 8 LOCKING HEADER BOLTS!

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
        Stock GM replacements are the BEST in my opinion, cant be multi layered steel...ALSO YOU MUST GET STAGE 8 LOCKING HEADER BOLTS!
        You don't have to get the stage 8 locking header bolts. They are just a nice upgrade. I simply went to my local hardware and used some grade 8 bolts there. Just make sure to tighten the bolts 1-2 a week for the first month or two or until they are no longer coming loose on you
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Before you swap, purchase some dielectric grease. It comes either in white or clear, just ask your parts counterperson for it. 2 packets should be sufficient. More important is to get some masking tape and a Sharpie pen to label which wire and coil you are swapping one by one. We're always here to help if you mess up the firing order lol.

Coil disassembly also involves further inspection of the rest of the charging & ignition system. Once you disassemble the coils, you will find a small plate with wires separating the coil pack underneath which most likely has some dried up white powdery residue. That part I recall is part of the ignition system and it would make good sense to reapply a good amount of protection there from moisture and other weird electrical problems in the future.

I noticed a significant and favorable difference in in power outut and fuel mileage when my coils were changed to Autozone stock. MSD or stock, you'll be happy you did the job right.

Up above is how the coils should be installed from left to right. Click on the pic to see the plug wire sequence to each coil terminal.
          Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

thanks for the help...i'm probably gonna go for the upgraded gaskets, locking header bolts...and i also got new ac delco plugs and wires...so i think i'm set for now
            1999 Camaro Z/28
            1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by badinfluenceRS
              thanks for the help...i'm probably gonna go for the upgraded gaskets, locking header bolts...and i also got new ac delco plugs and wires...so i think i'm set for now
              sounds good, AC delco makes iridium plugs as an upgrade if you want.

Comment

yep...i got the iridiums
                1999 Camaro Z/28
                1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

cool, well happy installing.

Comment

hopefully it will go well...i'm not that experienced with installing either of the two...hopefully i don't screw it up
                    1999 Camaro Z/28
                    1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by 96RS Alex
                      That part I recall is part of the ignition system and it would make good sense to reapply a good amount of protection there from moisture and other weird electrical problems in the future.

Ignition Control Module.

If that is the correct sequence of the coil packs, are the packs themselves the same set up, or is that just set up like that so you can remember the numbers and all the coil packs are universal for each spot?

Comment

Those are the coil packs lined up ( left to right ) if you saw them standing behind the drivers side fender, as if you were ready to start disassembly.
                        Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X