T-topless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-topless

Last week my driver's side T-top flew off of my car. I've read all the terrible stories on here about T-tops flying off when someone forgot to latch and lock their tops down. While mine were latched and locked and still flew off. I had been driving down an interstate several miles and I had just crossed a bridge and there was a slight bump after the bridge. The next thing i hear is air swishing in my car and seeing my t-top "floating" through the air.

Could the slightest bump have jarred the top off even if it was locked and latched correctly(which it was)? Do the moving working parts in the top wear down? I'm honestly puzzled about it all.
    I thought I could just turn around and pick the top up since it looked like it was just floating through the air. While to add to my problems it must have went into the creek below the bridge I just crossed.

So now I'm out a driver's side t-top. Any idea how much that'll cost me? I think I'm going to buy new from the dealer. That why all the mechanicals are new and no chance of being worn out.

Re: T-topless

haha mine flew off on the freeway once!!!!

check the for sale for a new ttop

Comment

oh wow......... :omg: I have never heard of that until now. thats scary.

Comment

damn son....must be a terrible sight seeing a piece of your car floating away. looks like eBay's your new friend

hardtop FTW

Comment

check all the boards for a used one, they can be had for cheap, I once got one as cheap as $25.

If yoou don't have the latches lined up right and force the lever to latch it in, you can bend the brackets open they are realy not that sturdy. take off the plastic trim pieces and you can adjust them to fit better. I think you are supposed to do this anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther

hardtop FTW
            damn right! we dont have to worry about that crap. :tup:

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
            http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
            Or this

Comment

I had to crawl in from the top when I forgot my keys once, it was a life saver. Anyways that sucks, I made sure mine were nice and snug before the winter started this year. I always see them around $100 bucks on multiple sites, I'm sure they can be had cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber
                damn right! we dont have to worry about that crap. :tup:
                yeah, and you cant see the stars or the blue sky thru ur roof either. you cant enjoy something that is uniquely GM! Muahahaha!

Me:1
                OSU loving Bibbler:0

on topic: honestly, i dont see how that could happen except if the locking brackets were bent or sumthing to begin with... unless you were going thru a corner which flexed the body to a rediculous extent i cant see those coming off once latched. perhaps you THOUGHT it was latched but wasnt.... really, e-bay or the for sale section of the site are going to help u thru this, otherwise you'll pay thru the a-hole for a dealership to order you a top
                Last edited by Camaro Dom; 12-20-2006, 03:26 AM.
                2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
                  you cant enjoy something that is uniquely GM! Muahahaha!

Me:1
                  OSU loving Bibbler:0

The concept car that was built for this King Cobra ( not this exact one of course ) had T-tops.

Comment

There have been a ton of cars with t-tops over the years. Unfortunely, nothing new has t-tops they died with the f-body.

To the original poster: I have heard of other people's t-tops coming off when latched and locked. There was a thread about how to adjust them to make sure it didn't happen, but it was a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by car-show-crazy-firebird
                      While to add to my problems it must have went into the creek below the bridge I just crossed.
                      How deep is the creek? Is it accessible?

Comment

Originally posted by HokieBird
                        There have been a ton of cars with t-tops over the years. Unfortunely, nothing new has t-tops they died with the f-body.

To the original poster: I have heard of other people's t-tops coming off when latched and locked. There was a thread about how to adjust them to make sure it didn't happen, but it was a while ago.

Oh yeah. I forgot about the Supra. and the MR2. and whatever else. lol!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Moses
                          Oh yeah. I forgot about the Supra. and the MR2. and whatever else. lol!!!
                          mustangs, corvettes, 280zx,300zx, shelby datonas, fieros,montes and other g bodys all had t tops at one time or another and i'm sure there is more
                          Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

ok ok fine! you guys-> :twak: <-me so maybe t-tops arent a GM exclusive... they're stilll alotta fun to have.
                            2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

You can get a removable hard top that is see through with any corvette these days, unless you get a soft top convertible of course.

I would show you pictures but it got mangled the other day when it had a run in with a cement in bankment.

It's not t-tops, but you can still see the moon and stars and all that non sense while driving at night. But, it's usually taken off while I'm driving.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X