whats wrong here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats wrong here?

hey guys, this is my first post and it isn't to introduce myself :p but rather to get some opinions on what could be goin on here. I have a '97 3.8, I usually shift around 2500-3000 rpms. sometimes when I shift from 2nd into 3rd it stays at around 2500-3000 for about a second before dropping. It doesn't happen that often but its really annoying when it does. anyone know what could be happening? if you guys need a better description or if u have any more questions ask away. thanks. :)

Alex

Re: whats wrong here?

you may possibly be a little low on tranny fluid, however normally that makes it shift a little harder. but just a guess

Comment

intermittant problems are really hard to diagnose... especially when we're not there with the car. the only thing i can say is check your vacuum lines first and foremost. if you dont have a mechanic's stethescope, take a length of hose and one end to your ear and use the other end to trace along your vacuum lines (a diagram for said hoses should be in any chiltons or haynes manual) and listen for a sucking or whistling sound. if possible, get someone to wiggle the hoses around as one may be loose.
      second, i'd change the plugs and look at their condition. if they're normal the best thing i can recommend is really to have a shop look at it. does it diesel at all (run for a second after the key is turned off)? those are really the only two reasons i can think of as to why and engine would stay at a particular rpm. perhaps there are hotspots which are causing the engine to keep moving?
      one thing that might be wrong could be the accelerator cable (or resistor if its a '99+), but i doubt that would be wrong cuz once the load is released (you press the clutch), the rpm's should shoot up for a second.
      ^^ all thats assuming you have a manual.
      if you have an auto, i'd think its trans slipping cuz A: it doesnt have enuf fluid or B: its gonna die soon
      2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

the engine doesn't diesel. I'll make sure to check the vacuum lines and the plugs. I'll write back and let you guys know what i found. thanks for your replies. :)

Comment

Originally posted by LittleBirdBlue
          hey guys, this is my first post and it isn't to introduce myself :p but rather to get some opinions on what could be goin on here. I have a '97 3.8, I usually shift around 2500-3000 rpms. sometimes when I shift from 2nd into 3rd it stays at around 2500-3000 for about a second before dropping. It doesn't happen that often but its really annoying when it does. anyone know what could be happening? if you guys need a better description or if u have any more questions ask away. thanks. :)

Alex
          Do you mean it stays at that rpm with the clutch pushed in or does it rev to 3000 after you shift it into gear?

Comment

theres no leak in the lines and the plugs are fine. Ace, it stays at 2500-3000rpms with the clutch pushed in. thanks for your reply.

Comment

maybe your clutch isn't releasing all the way
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I would have to agree with BLLDOGG on this one sounds like a throwout bearing to me...
                Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

Originally posted by vampyr
                  I would have to agree with BLLDOGG on this one sounds like a throwout bearing to me...
                  Just what I was thinking. May be time for a new clutch and throw out. I know on my 97, it's getting there. I still have plenty left, but it nothing like it used to be.
                  ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                  A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Just a guess my temporary ride for a couple months while im swapping motors in my camaro is a 1996 saturn SC2. The motor everytime in between shifts would stay around 3k rpm and when I let off the pedal it would force the motor to drop RPM's. I know how you feel it is really annoying. I took off the throttle body and cleaned it real good, just make sure to remove your MAF and set it aside. I used a little gas and a toothbrush to make it shiny clean. When I put it back on it's not a big deal I bought the car for 200$ so I just made a gasket out of red RTV sealant. No problems, car runs smoother, and the RPM problem is fixed. Just a thought before you go throwing money at it. Good luck

Comment

thanks for your reply. yes, it is very annoying. i'm interested in how exactly you went about cleaning the throttle body. thanks tech.

Comment

on my Saturn first I removed the air intake, etc. then my mass air flow sensor, there were 2 phillips screws, and set it aside. Then I disconnected the throttle linkage, it worked just like the brakes on a bike, but your 99 should just have an electrical clip that comes undone. After that the rundone went like this:
                        1. Unbolt throttle body, mine had 2 bolts
                        2. Remove IAC Valve (your 99 won't have this)
                        3. Remove butterfly throttle plate with phillips screwdriver (not required)
                        4. Get a container and fill it with gas (I used a clean oil pan and about .5 gallons of gas
                        5. Using a toothbrush, dip it in the gas and brush anywhere you see any gunk inside the TB, I cleaned the outside of mine, but it was purely cosmetic. after breaking loose the gunk with the brush I ran the TB back and forth through the container of gas to clean it of debris.
                        6. Reinstall IAC and throttle control/butterfly valve (clean those components as well)
                        7. Bolting the TB back on, like I said it was a cheap car and the auto store was closed so I just used some RTV and made a thick bead along the 2 mating surfaces.
                        8. Bolt TB up, install maf, throttle control, and air intake.
                        9. Start car, mine started and died, then started and ran rough for about 20 seconds, I think it was the excess gas in the TB possibly, but after that, it ran great.
                        10. Good luck, hopefully this is your problems but I'm not making any promises.

Comment

My 97 3.8 does this occasionally. Usually when I am going fast and shifting hard though. I will shift it and its like its delaying to shift. Stays in high RPMS for like 3 seconds then drops. No idea what the problem is either. Anyone know? Mine is a 5 speed also.

My moms 2000 Saturn SL does this **** too and its a 5 speed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X