Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter

Alright I did a search and did not find a specific answer so I thought I would make a new thread. Lately my car was having some trouble starting and now will not start at all. The battery is fine, I've checked that. It does not make any attempt to start, no clicking, nothing. I and some others have come to the thought that the starter might be the problem. I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult this was to replace and if anyone knew any other problem areas I should check. The problem car is a 1996 Firebird v6. Thanks again guys. -Nick
    Last edited by 96_Fbird; 12-19-2006, 03:01 PM.
    - Why tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death -

Re: Starter

Any help would be appreciated I am currently carless and only have a few days to work on it.

Comment

Unlike most work on a F-body, the starter is actually fairly easy. FIRST OFF, REMOVE THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE. Jack up the car and look behind the bell housing and you will see the starter, it is on the drivers side of the car parallel (horizontally)to the motor. there are 2 long bolts I believe holding it in. Unbolt those two and get your battery cables unscrewed. Buy a new starter or I would get a salvage starter and reinstall in reverse order. Best of luck to ya!

Comment

are you sure its not a security issue? is your security light flashing
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
          are you sure its not a security issue? is your security light flashing
          My thoughts exactly....
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
            My thoughts exactly....
            Mine too....after I re-read and saw there was no clicking or weak cranking

Comment

No the light does not flash. Just in case it is out I will try the spare key that usually works. Everything will turn on also just no attempt at starting.

Comment

is it a 5-speed? if so check the neutral clutch safety switch.

if its an auto, check the Park/neutral safety switch

then the vats. Usually when the starter craps, it clicks or makes noises. Mine crapped on me, and made whirring noises. Easy swap.

Comment

sorry to highjack this thread but when you say a whirring sound is it that sound when you turn the key to the on position then turn it the second position and it just clicks a punch of times and eventually starts? the reason i am asking is i am having trouble starting my car but i dunno if its fuel or ignition .
                  2000 firebird w68, auto, t-tops , 3.42 , k&n, whisper lid, taylor 8mm spark plug wires , bosch spark plugs , 3\"in/out carsound CAT , 3\" i pipe, take off trans am muffler, C6 Z06 rims

Comment

How do i check the park/neutral safety switch ..it is an auto Alright here is an update..kind of odd. I was going to the store to buy a manual since I can't seem to find mine when I thought eh what the heck I'll give it a try. Well it started up and now I have no clue as to what the problem was/is. Any ideas?
                    Last edited by 96_Fbird; 12-20-2006, 11:55 AM.

Comment

mine just did this and i just got it fixed two days ago. i was on the way to my girlfriends, and i stopped by the gas station to get an ice cold coke, when i went to start my car it wasnt doing anything at all(no clicking, ect) everything would work in the car, my subs, lights, radio, and even my headlights. long story short.....we thought it was the starter. it wasnt. we put power to it and it worked fine. it is the ignition switch. the little chip that is on your key has to be reprogrammed along with a new ignition switch from the factory(yes it is a dealer item only)
                      Last edited by 1999Spectre; 12-20-2006, 03:21 PM.

come get some
                      http://www.canyoumaketheturn.com/

Comment

Thanks. Do you know how much that costs? That was kinda the last thing I was hoping it was.

Comment

SHOULD be less than $190. the key reprogrammed was like $45 and the rest was the ignition switch and work. lol but try your spare first though just in case. lol

come get some

Comment

The spare does work the only problem...I can't tell if it is that because my key is back at school...3 1/2 hours away but hopefully my roommate will be bringing around christmas. I didn't have any luck getting the starter off so I am going to try and get it in the shop sometime soon. Also I believe once before the spare key did not work, but worked today ...so not sure if I want to rely on that. Anyone ever replace a starter. When I tried it was easy to find, but much more than 2 bolts, well to get to the 2 bolts it was.
                            Last edited by 96_Fbird; 12-20-2006, 03:50 PM.

Comment

put power to the starter. if the engine cranks then that is not your problem. there is prolly a short in a wire between the starter and the ignition switch if you are having a major problem. but if your other key works i dont think i would worry too much about it. go to autozone and have them scan it, cause it will through a code more than likely.

come get some

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X