What oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil?

Hey guys I didnt search this because I wanted to get some opinions on different brands of oil that you guy use on a regular basis.
    Personally I like to use Castrol GTX, thats all ive used in my 3.4L till my last oil change and my car never used oil or smoked when cranked on cold mornings. But my last oil change I used Havoline and now my car burned about a half a quart by the time for a new oil change and smoked as well on really cold mornings. Now I know its pretty normal for an engine of 173k to have some problems and use a little bit of oil but it never does this using Castrol. Another thing ive noticed as well is Havoline oil breaks down really quickly which I assume is causing the cold start smoking. I mean it literally feels like the consistancy of water after 3000 miles. Just my personal experience, anyone care to add any input?
    1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Re: What oil?

this thread just happened like 5 days ago

Comment

if you always run castrol, you shouldnt switch it. esp after that many miles on the car.

Comment

Yes definitely pick an oil and stick to it with that many miles. My friends dad has a shop and they ran a test and castrol gummed up they found the best to be mobil 1 but I used castrol GTX in my old motor and was fine (till a bearing spun- but I doubt it was from the oil). Choose a motor oil and stick with it, nowadays OIL IS OIL the main thing is that you have the correct amount and type of oil and change it accordingly.

Comment

Quaker State Synthetic RPM...highly recommend
          1999 Camaro Z/28
          1973 Firebird Formula

Comment

you just can't beat Mobil oil. synthetic or not.
            Last edited by BLLDOGG; 12-18-2006, 09:26 PM.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
              you just can't beat Mobil oil. synthetic or not.
              Agreed, our family recently switched all vehicles to mobil 1 clean 5,000 and after 4-5k miles we changed it and it looked cleaner than the castrol ever had. My new motor will receive mobil 1 as well :)

Comment

Thanx for the input guys, and sorry for asking the same thread as was already mentioned. I knew there was probably one like it but I just wanted some opinions on my situation. And yes I plan on running only castrol gtx from now on. The only reason I didnt before is because the place where I got the oil didnt have any.
                1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Comment

Originally posted by Tech
                  Agreed, our family recently switched all vehicles to mobil 1 clean 5,000 and after 4-5k miles we changed it and it looked cleaner than the castrol ever had. My new motor will receive mobil 1 as well :)
                  Just cause the bottle says 5,000 miles doesn't really mean anything you should still change it around 3,000 especially if its an older motor

Comment

Originally posted by Thefbomb13
                    Just cause the bottle says 5,000 miles doesn't really mean anything you should still change it around 3,000 especially if its an older motor
                    85k on the intrepid and 131k on the F150 and 330k on the Honda:D, but its a Honda. The honda recommends changing every 7500 ahahah. We usually do change every 3k but we figured we'd see how dirty the oil got after the supposedly clean '5000' miles and surprisingly it was still brownish, not black :)

Comment

You own a honda!?!?!?!!?

I demand instant ban! :)

Comment

Blah, the oil can go for 7,500 miles back in the day 80's-70's the actual time to change oil wasn't no 3000 miles it was more like 7000 or 8000 and now that they see they can make money they have yummy little kids running around thinking that by changing their oil every 3000 miles will make a BIG diffrence, sure it won't hurt nothing but it's not needed, i don't think so anyways, and if you don't believe me look in a 1979 or 1983 or something manual for a car it will NOT say change oil 3 months or 3000 miles. btw i use mobil 1 synthetic in mah 2002 firebird

Comment

I'm looking at my 1977 Ford Granada manual right now and it does say it is recommended to change your oil every 3,000 miles. But, then it does go to say or every 6 months, whichever comes first. So, unlike our cars which it says every 3 months the time period was extended for use.

But, back then people didn't really rely on their cars to go that far and trips were a lot shorter to do daily things, unlike now how some people may have to drive 50+ miles to get to school or work. Back then, it was a 6 month or more time period for them to travel 7,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish
                            You own a honda!?!?!?!!?

I demand instant ban! :)
                            Yes, and am proud of it. Domestic motors and parts just have no comparison in reliability to imported motors and parts. Anyways it's an 87 Accord 2dr 5 speed with 330k and only replacements have been:
                            2 sets of complete timing components
                            1 replacement OEM clutch kit
                            1 water pump
                            brake-light bulb
                            head gasket
                            Regular air filter, oil filter, oil, radiator, spark plugs etc.
                            Car turns over 3 times and fires up every time with NO PROBLEMS, be it the middle of summer or dead cold of winter. This car hasn't exactly been babied either. Driving EASY my father and I both shift around 5,000 RPM. When we are in a hurry or just having fun (90% of the time) we run er' to redline 7500 RPM every shift. On a sidenote, we spin all the way through 1st, spin for a few seconds in 2nd, and can chirp em' in 3rd!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X