Car lunging at highway speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car lunging at highway speeds

When I'm driving at say 55-65 mph and press down on the accelerator just a little the car starts lunging the rpms start jumping up and down from say from 1800-2200. Any thoughts on what's going on?
    98 NOS\'d Camaro 3.8 A4<br />99 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 A4

Possibly Torque Converter locking up and unlocking repeatedly? That's my shot in the dark.
    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

I was gonna say you need to shift... then I noticed you're only at ~2000 ;)

Comment

I've been having the same problem for months now. I've scanned it, autotapped it till I'm blue in the face. The tranny and the engine both come up clean (no errors or codes). It's driving me crazy. My off the line speed sucks too. I think it's the same problem. If you find out what's causing it, let me know what it is. What a PITA.
        1997 Y87 Camaro with a motor and some stuff.

Comment

this is the same prob i had, only mine worked it self out. this is EXACTLY what i had. i reset the comp and let it work itself out. i messed up my IAT but i dont konw what you could of done to cause this.

Comment

Have you checked ignition? I remember when I first got my car, on 45-60, the whole damn car would start to shake, rattle, and roll! Then whe I stepped on the gas and the trans downshifted from 4th to 3rd and the RPMs went to 3000, the shaking went away.

Took it to the shop, and the #3 plug was fried. All plugs and wires replaced, problem solved :cool:
            --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

Comment

Could be a bunch if things.

If you haven’t changed the plugs/wires in a while I would do that.

My friend was having the same problum and it turned out to be a loose plug.
              <b>LS1 RX7! </b> &#0124;&#0124; <a href=\"http://www.no-bling.com/image_galleries/index.php?action=viewgallery&gallery=galleries/eyeoutthere_LS1_FC\" target=\"_blank\">Full Gallery</a> <br /><br />LT1 Header Informtion/survey

Comment

This comes up alot and happens to me also i replaced my plugs and wires it wasnt that. Somebody replaced their egr valve and it fixed the problem. i havent gotten around to doing it yet doesnt bother me enough for that.
                AIS 2 OHH the memories... Great times and putting names with faces.<p>From \"interesting\" hooters waitress(Did you guys FLY ? ) to pissing BMW owners off on the ride home. To ending up in Philidelphia and USING (hahaha) an ice machine. I had a BLAST.<p>Thanxs to all that showed up!!

Comment

The Haynes manual says "speed surging at high speeds" is a result of the fuel system. I'm guessing they're talking about poor pressure.

Might check that while you're under the hood.
                  Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

first thing i would check is a problem with your plugs or wires, either loose or bad or a burn spot on a wire somewhere.

That will cause the lunging on the highway. Check for a loose boot/bad crimp job if you replaced the wires or burn on a wire.

Comment

Thanks for the replys, I'm gonna change the plugs and wires this week, and probably bypass the egr and hopefully that will work.

Comment

Good luck. I've changed the wires/plugs and tried the EGR bypass by placing a metal plate between the egr valve and the pipes that connect to it, but still have the problem. Let me know if that works for you...

Comment

Hey, RiceyRS... Did you ever find anything out on this?

Comment

Well I don't know exactly which thing I did that actually fixed the problem but it seems to be gone now. Basically what I heard from the dealership when they replaced the rear end and the fuel pressure regulator, they reprogrammed the computer but forgot to calibrate the torque converter, so I had them do that. And I've also replaced the plugs (2 weren't in the best shape) the wires, change the pcv valve (the old one was stuck, which is what caused the "tar" inside my throttle body, so I cleaned the throttle body, and I also changed the trans fluid and filter, and ran some injector cleaner through the car, and I know a few other thing. So it seems to be working now but I don't know which one fixed it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X