Cost to have plugs and wires replaced? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost to have plugs and wires replaced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost to have plugs and wires replaced?

I am planning to have plugs and wires replaced on my 98 with 3.8 engine and was wondering what it might cost to have this done by a shop. I would attempt myself, but it appears to be a real pain.

Re: Cost to have plugs and wires replaced?

If you have ramps or jack stands along with a friend it is not too bad. I would recommend any AC Delco or NGK plugs. The trick is to get the extension between the standard long and short 3/8 extensions. Sears has them for 1.99 if I remember correctly. As far as paying someone the dealership here charges 350+ :O

Comment

Do it yourself, it's a pain in the butt. But in the end you will save money, and learn along the way.

1998 White Camaro 3800, A4, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Zexel & 3.42's, Jet Chip Stage 2, Whisper Lid, and Ram Air.

Comment

Originally posted by flyfrito_SS
        Do it yourself, it's a pain in the butt. But in the end you will save money, and learn along the way.
        exactly, there are a few tight fits, but nuthing you cant do with a few wrenches, youlll have it done in an hr or 2.

Comment

It will probably be around 100-150 to get your wires and plugs changed. I would recommend doing them yourself if you have stands and some patience.
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

shell out the $30 for the jack and jack stand and DIY

Comment

Does anyone know if someone has made a video of plug and wire replacement procedure or at least taken some photos that might be of some help.

Comment

you could just ask the guys here while you are doing them....there is more than likely going to being someone ready on this forum....but its not that tricky...only issue will be the back passenger sidewhich....if your hands cant fit you need one of those flexible extesion...just make sure its short....connect that to the socket your using...what i do is go from up top but with my body beside the fender and almost laying on the car....this lets me get a good handle on pulling the plug wires...WEAR THIN WORK GLOVES...gives you better grip and protects you from cutting your hand....i have a set that are really heavy duty but thin allows me to still fit my had thick gloves give you less space to work with...since you just started...only do one plug and spark plug at a time....when you take off one plug...replace the spark plug...then put the new plug back this way you wont cross the wires and cause a missfire.

Comment

there is no one way to do them, you kind of just have to get dirty and go at it with whatever angle you can get at.

Comment

Very expensive for this year model. You are not going to be able to do it in an hour your first time. It took me five hours. These things are very hard to get to and you have to get most of them from under the car. I think I was quoted around 250 by a couple of places before I decided to do it myself...do it and you will see why they are charging so much.
                    1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

5 hours to change your plugs and wires, wow. I did a header swap in a total of almost 6 and that includes taking plugs out

Shouldn't take that long even with some breaks to let the blood dry on your knuckles.

Comment

I was quoted $300 to do mine 5 years ago. I declined and did them myself. They are not that bad, but there is some learning curve involved. The second time I did them it was much easier. You do have to get to a number of the plugs from underneath the car. Oh and I hope you have small hands!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X