syphon gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• syphon gas?

I recently purchased a camaro as a project car, it does not run and hasn't in a few years. On of the first things I need to do is syphon out the old gas, there is about 1/2 tank according to the gauge.

Anyhow people say you just need a hose so I was trying this out tonite but can't seem to get the hose into the actual gas... it goes in the tank, I can hear it, but doesn't seem to get below the surface of the gas.

Is there something I'm missing here? Someone mentioned to me that modern cars prevent you from doing this with a check valve that keeps the gas from spilling out... is this true?

I feel a little stupid asking this as it seems so simple, even the manual says if the tank is full to syphon it before you remove it but I'm not having any luck...

Re: syphon gas?

Just keep sucking on that hose. Your either going to succeed or get really high. If you get really high than start a new thread and tell us about your trip.
    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Undo the bolts and connects to the fuel filter. all the gas should run out. keep the gas cap off
      Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

thanks for the suggestions but heres what I ended up doing:
        -disconnected the fuel filter line from the gas tank
        -ran a tube from that line to a container
        -jumped the fuel filter primer wire in the engine bay and used the pump to drain the tank.

not sure if this is the same procedure on a v6, but I have both a v6 and a z28 and happen to be trying to get the Z running right now. Thanks for your suggestions though

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc
          Just keep sucking on that hose. Your either going to succeed or get really high. If you get really high than start a new thread and tell us about your trip.
          ROFL

Originally posted by SSMOWS6
          i mean, you can always fly wes out there and since he's a tool sometimes, fashion him into a plow for the maro
          R.I.P. '07 Pats
          Still... 18-1 > 1 and done

Comment

Originally posted by motocrosser291
            thanks for the suggestions but heres what I ended up doing:
            -disconnected the fuel filter line from the gas tank
            -ran a tube from that line to a container
            -jumped the fuel filter primer wire in the engine bay and used the pump to drain the tank.

not sure if this is the same procedure on a v6, but I have both a v6 and a z28 and happen to be trying to get the Z running right now. Thanks for your suggestions though

Sissy. Real men would rather enjoy the high then using a pump to help them out. :) J/K that was a pretty smart idea you did there.

Comment

I siphon friends gas when they arent around for 10+ minutes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X