I started to smoke...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I started to smoke...

My 01 just took up a smoking habit, but I'm not sure its burning oil, cause I've noticed only a 1qt fluid level drop since my last oil change. I'm really hoping i don't need a ring job...
    Maybe valve inserts?

Re: I started to smoke...

what color is the smoke? are your spark plugs dirty? is their a distinct smell to the burn?
    these kinds of things will help you pinpoint what is buring, diffrent burn patterns on SP's and corrosion or build-up and point out if coolant is leaking into the combust. chamber, burning then cleaning the SP's, but it gives off a white smoke.

oil gives off a bluish smoke,

a rich fuel mixture gives off a thick black smoke

Comment

Originally posted by antmcg79
      My 01 just took up a smoking habit, but I'm not sure its burning oil, cause I've noticed only a 1qt fluid level drop since my last oil change. I'm really hoping i don't need a ring job...
      Maybe valve inserts?
      If you are buring a qt of oil inbetween changes, oil may be your problem.

Comment

you are allowed to burn 1qt per 2k miles
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
          Really? that seems like quite a lot.

Comment

Yea, Ive never heard that either. I always thought if you were burning any oil at all then you had a problem.
            01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
            AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
            www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
            www.vaperz.com
            PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

Yah that cant be right. no oil should be burnt or leaked in my mind. but seals get weak
              Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

I am starting to doubt you are a certified tech. With the BS you just posted there hell I could say I'm certified.

Comment

you can disagree with me all you want but it is true. I will try to find the info for you.

"Oil Consumption Diagnosis-
                  An engine that has excessive oil consumption uses 0.9 L (1 qt) of oil, or more, within 3 200 km (2,000 mi)."

so, like i said, 1qt per 2K miles. at that point, like i said, you have an issue. I guess technically, 1.99qts of oil per 2K is allowed :rolleyes:

the reason why some oil burning is allowed is because when your piston moves down, an oil film is left behind which burns off.
                  Usually, when i say something, I have an idea of what I am talking about. I want an apology
                  Last edited by BLLDOGG; 12-11-2006, 06:39 PM.
                  2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

I am going to agree with you cuz we just learned that today in auto and my teacher is gm certified some people are rude

you can disagree with me all you want but it is true. I will try to find the info for you.

An engine that has excessive oil consumption uses 0.9 L (1 qt) of oil, or more, within 3 200 km (2,000 mi)."

so, like i said, 1qt per 2K miles. at that point, like i said, you have an issue. I guess technically, 1.99qts of oil per 2K is allowed :rolleyes:

the reason why some oil burning is allowed is because when your piston moves down, an oil film is left behind which burns off.
                    Usually, when i say something, I have an idea of what I am talking about. I want an apology

Comment

My winter beater saturn drinks a bit of oil. I usually add a quart in between oil changes. No biggy, but then again saturns are known to drink some oil.
                      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 95firebird3.4
                        I am going to agree with you cuz we just learned that today in auto and my teacher is gm certified some people are rude
                        not to like sound like an idiot or anythin but doesn't oil like evaporate like i dont mean alot but i mean like a really small amount not noticeable amount ?!

Comment

ha, ok deal

I wasnt doubting you, I was just shocked that the amount was so high, unlike "tech" I know you give accurate advice.

Comment

tech is an infant, give him a break.

Comment

I agree with BLLDog that a qt every 2000 miles is not excessive. Expect your car to use more oil as you put more miles on it. Your valve seals wear as do piston rings. You could also have some scratches on the cylinder walls etc. These things will cause some oil useage.
                              69 Camaro 350 4spd, Full Hotchkis susp, Baer brakes, moser 12 bolt, Flowmaster<br /><br />96 RS Hotchkis STB, subframe connectors, Hotchkis LCA and adj Panhard rod, SS camaro sway bars, Bilstein shocks, powerslot rotors, Borla exhaust, rksport headers, k@nFIPK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X