alarm killing battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alarm killing battery

hey all i need some help on this one, my friends sister has a 1999 3800 bird but it was bought from someone else. the other owner did a hack job on the alarm (looks 3rd party) and it keeps killing the car, anyone know a way around it?

Re: alarm killing battery

my factory alarm kills my battery if it sits for more than 5 days

Comment

rip it out
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Rip it out, or take it out and redo the wiring. This way you can find out what isn't grounding good enough to keep draining the battery.

And if you say the guy did a hack job, I guess it would be a 3rd party product, unless of course the guy purchased the alarm from GM directly, then it would be a 2nd party product. :)

Rip it out, see if her battery is still dying. If it is, find the real problem. If the battery isn't dying then hook the alarm back up, but do it right this time, and have clean connections all around.

Comment

Instead of ripping out the alarm, just disconnect it. Then hook a multimeter (on the amperage setting) in series with the car battery. With the doors closed and everything off, key out of the ignition, the current draw should be very minimal, maybe a few milliamps. There will always be a little draw because of the radio and computer. If the current draw is anywhere near 1 amp there is a short somewhere. I know 1 amp will kill the battery overnight. If everything is fine, hook up the alarm and run the same test. Then you'll know if the alarm is the culprit.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

How long does it take to kill the battery... b/c like someone else said, mine dies if I let it sit for a week or so... if it's less than that then there's a problem, if it takes about that long, it's normal.
            Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
            Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X