What problems should I expect with my engine at 150k+ - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What problems should I expect with my engine at 150k+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What problems should I expect with my engine at 150k+

As my car is nearing the 150k mark I am wondering of any potential problems? I've had the car since August, and since then have put on about 5k miles and especially am racking up the mileage now that I drive about 600-700 miles a week. If you didn't see my other thread here, I am getting great gas mileage(over 400+ on a tank easily). To my knowledge I was told one of the previous owners was a business woman who drove the vehicle majority highway. So with it being adult driven and mainly highway i'm hoping not much abuse. How long can our motors go(btw 1995 3.4 m5 is the car) go? Should I start saving up for a rebuild for the day it goes kaput? I'm a college student so money is tight, but I rely on this car and its my prize possession so yeah. Thank you guys

Re: What problems should I expect with my engine at 150k+

Our cars can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. An engine can go as far as you want, if you show it the proper care and attention. Tune-ups when they are needed, and as the car gets older, such as the 100k-150k mark you might want to shave a month or a few hundred to 1k miles for certain things. Like oil for instance, you change it every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. Well, now you may want to change it ever 2 months or 2000-2500 miles and use oil that is for high mileage cars. I would highly recommend Royal Purple.

So, all in all, just make sure you keep it tuned up, and the engine clean from any dirt, debris and moisture that could possibly build up and create a weak spot on a major part or possibly create rust. Also, at this point, you should probably Seafoam your car as well to get all that carbon build up out of there.

You can read all about how to Seafoam your vehicle here:
    http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534376

Also, if it still has the stock exhaust and cat. converter, you may want to consider getting a high-flow cat. converter and an aftermarket exhaust to help it flowing better. Also before you purchase that, consider getting a CAI(cold air intake). It doesn't have to be a very expensive one, just one that works, such as the Chrome Intakes that you can find on Ebay brand new for a small amount of money.

Here is a Chrome CAI:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is another CAI that is decent for a small amount of money:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMAR...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck keeping her healthy and running.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish
      Here is a Chrome CAI:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-94...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is another CAI that is decent for a small amount of money:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAMAR...QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck keeping her healthy and running.

Ok will those fit 3.8 i did searching and i never get a straight answer i never see a CAI for a 3.8 and what mods would i have to do to make it fit

Comment

Chrome Intakes actually has a CAI for the 3.8 and no modifications have to be done at all, accept for take one of the screws out of your driver's side fenderwell so you can stick the tip the cone filter outside of it.

They usually have them on Ebay for around $40.00, but I don't have the time to post a link at the moment, when I have more time I will find one and post the link.

Comment

Thanks for the tips Vanquish

I probably should have mentioned I have the following done to it since I bought it a couple months ago

Royal Purple Oil
          SLP CAI
          Seafoamed it

I've been looking into getting a new exhaust on it. Royal Purple says it can go to 12k miles.........should I still change it at 3k(or 2k as you said above)????

Comment

my stepdads buik just hit 250k of course with a few minor fixes but he always keeps fluids full and changed.
            Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Well, with the Royal Purple I would say anywhere between 5k and 7k.

If you notice your vehicle getting sluggish after the 5k, or your oil becomes thick or dark I would go ahead and change it out. And then just remember around what time it started to do that and subtract 50-100 miles from that and do it at that mileage interval.

Hope she continues to run for years to come. (<-- that kind of rhymes, it should be a slogan)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X