taking apart signal light??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking apart signal light??

i was wondering about taking my front turn signal/drl apart. a blub broke in it awhile back and u can see the bits of glass in there. there also moisture in there soo maybe its leaking????
    MODS. (small yet noticable)<br />-Dynomax exhaust<br />-umm, custom intake lid & air silencer w/K&N (Cheap!)<br />-T/A rear bumper

you can't take it apart. you CAN remove the lens from the vehicle, turn it upside down & shake it until you get all the glass bits out.

if you're getting moisture inside the lens, maybe the seal between the bulb & lens isn't sealing properly? is it old/brittle?

if that's not it, chances are it's leaking through between the lens halves....take some silicone & apply it where the lens halves meet...that should take care of that problem.

--matt

Comment

Sounds like you have a blinker fluid problem.
      <br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/nitroxxx28</a>

Comment

thats what i was wondering.. if maybe i could take the lens apart.. clean the inside and reseal it?? or should i just not attempt this??? if not i'll just try what u suggested matt.

EDITED FOR CLARITY

[ December 23, 2003: Message edited by: 99 Bird 'o Fire ]</p>
        MODS. (small yet noticable)<br />-Dynomax exhaust<br />-umm, custom intake lid & air silencer w/K&N (Cheap!)<br />-T/A rear bumper

Comment

I had that same problem with my left front turn signal on my 97 Camaro... turns out that it was missing a circular kind of spacer/gasket (black) that kept liquid from entering the lens chamber. The other side had the gasket and didn't leak, so whoever replaced the left front light must not have replaced the gasket.. I can see why, cuz it was a ***** to make it fit this time. There was a short due to the leak, so I had to replace the whole left front turn signal socket.

Then I realized that both my tail-lights also had leaks too!

I've had my '97 Camaro for about 2 years now and I just bought a '99 Firebird last week. Not sure if I'll keep them both, the Camaro has some problems (111k miles); It runs great, but the tail-lights both seem to have leaks. They don't appear to be cracked, so I put some silicone along the top of the lens, still didn't keep out the moisture and now I have a short in the right side turn signal! Has anyone else had this problem? Looks like I may have to get 2 whole new tail-light housings (about $140 each from local Chevy dealer), unless I can find out where to put the silicone.

I also like the ignition key release on the Firebirds ignition ring....unlike the Camaro's ignition lock which is way down in the console and has started to lock up lately so I can't always remove the key until it decides to unstick. You can hear a click in the console after a few seconds, then the key can be removed!

Hey, Merry Christmas!! [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

[ December 24, 2003: Message edited by: CamaroDriver ]

[ December 24, 2003: Message edited by: CamaroDriver ]

[ December 24, 2003: Message edited by: CamaroDriver ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Devilboy28:
            Sounds like you have a blinker fluid problem.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah. It's probably a bad blinker fluid gasket causing it to leak. ;)
            <a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/New/IMG_0085.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Black 2002 Camaro M5</a>-SS takeoff muffler, B&M Ripper, K&N Filter, 35/20% tint, Infinity speakers, Viper alarm, perpetually breaking clutch return spring mod. 15.49@90.15<br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P14.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Pewter 2002 Firebird M5 (Dad\'s Car)</a>

Comment

well!! i took it out.. the dang thing has a huge crack in the back and a burnt spot on the inside. soo i guess maybe a bulb got too hot 'er something. i put some silicone over the crack.. maybe that'll work for a little while.

Comment

dunno about the 'birds....i know used camaro replacement lenes go for hella cheap in the forsale forum..

--matt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X