rpm problenms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rpm problenms

Ok so my rmp have been going really high when im drive on the street. It will go all the way up to 4 0r 5 rpm be for it shifts down. but it does this for a little bite of drive once been driving it works fine. Then on the freeway the rmp jump around from 3 to 2 then back to 3. But again it only does it for a little while what could be causing this it a 95 3.4 auto

Re: rpm problenms

Check your transmission fluid.

Is it just getting to those high of rpm's by pressing the gas and it not shifting until late, or is it revving that high on it's own?

If it is revving that high on it's own, check your vacuum hoses for any leaks or cracks.

Is your SES light coming on or anything like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish
      Check your transmission fluid.

Is it just getting to those high of rpm's by pressing the gas and it not shifting until late, or is it revving that high on it's own?

If it is revving that high on it's own, check your vacuum hoses for any leaks or cracks.

Is your SES light coming on or anything like that?
      when i press the gas its shifting late

Comment

Waht color is your tranny fluid?

Comment

a really dark red

Comment

How many miles since your last change of the tranny? How many total miles on the car? Highway or city? You are checking its level while it is idle right?

Comment

whlie i just got it a month ago the last owner said he had a the fuilds changed about a week b4 it went up for sell. It has 130k . yes im checking it in idle

Comment

Here is a snap of what mine looked like, This fluid has around 400 miles on it. Its actually a little lighter then what the picture made it look like. Your not talking brown here right? I had minor transmission problems @ 126K on my old A4 between 2nd and 3rd. Think the person you bought it from wot around town or grannied it?

http://www.avp2mods.com/tran.jpg

Comment

Think the person you bought it from wot around town or grannied it?
                  What are u saying here. mines is much darker then that.

Comment

Ohh if yours is much darker then that then yea its WAY time for a total change and new filter. I would say the previous owner did not include trans fluid change in his "fluids list". Does it have a smell to it by any chance? I would get that done pronto dude.

What I was asking is if the guy drove conservativly or recklessly. Which is somewhat moot if you have sick fluid color, its bad and needs to go.

Comment

Originally posted by jollymon
                      Ohh if yours is much darker then that then yea its WAY time for a total change and new filter. I would say the previous owner did not include trans fluid change in his "fluids list". Does it have a smell to it by any chance? I would get that done pronto dude.

What I was asking is if the guy drove conservativly or recklessly. Which is somewhat moot if you have sick fluid color, its bad and needs to go.

ok i will get that done do u think that is what the problem is??? how many miles should u change it? he was an older man and the only owner of it so i dont think he drove it hard but i dont no

Comment

It is said to do it every 30,000 miles or 24 months, whichever comes first. I would advise you to do it every 15-20,000 miles or every 10-12 months, whichever comes first since there are so many miles on it.

Comment

Tranny fluid & filter should be changed out every 30K in my opinion. 15K if your in really bad urban settings, towing cattle trailers (lol) ect, but 30K is a good guideline. Check you trans fluid color every time you check oil. You can go and have someone do it for you, but ask them for the old filter. It should be pretty rank. Or you could get some ramps (I like safe) and do it yourself in a hour tops. Whatever you do I would take a bottle of the used trans fluid and the filter to the guy and explain what fraud in the inducement is. Again does it smell burnt? If so then you may well be smelling some cooked internals. Could it be on the way out? Well changing the fluid will help you assess that. If that does not help then consider it a possibility. Wahtever you do dont go to aamco!

Comment

Originally posted by jollymon
                            Tranny fluid & filter should be changed out every 30K in my opinion. 15K if your in really bad urban settings, towing cattle trailers (lol) ect, but 30K is a good guideline. Check you trans fluid color every time you check oil. You can go and have someone do it for you, but ask them for the old filter. It should be pretty rank. Or you could get some ramps (I like safe) and do it yourself in a hour tops. Whatever you do I would take a bottle of the used trans fluid and the filter to the guy and explain what fraud in the inducement is. Again does it smell burnt? If so then you may well be smelling some cooked internals. Could it be on the way out? Well changing the fluid will help you assess that. If that does not help then consider it a possibility. Wahtever you do dont go to aamco!
                            ok thanks for the info i will change it and go from there. no it dont smell burt how much would a new tranny cost or to get it rebuilt

Comment

I just bought a 14K salvage engine & tranny outta a 2001 camero. Cost was 1100 shipped. Check car-parts.com for a better idea in your location. Labor for the install of the trans will vary, shop every mechanic and get everything in writting. Also have them factor in parts replacement with that labor. I compromised a bit on the ppl that installed. 1200 mechanics bill, (Yea, first and last time I am paying for that) Would have learned how myself, but have a really shaky trans on my beater truck and fbirds DD.

I would not have someone rebuild it, these trans just can be had for cheap with a few days looking around.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                2 days ago
                              • ssms5411
                                Little work today
                                by ssms5411
                                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                2 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X