96 Camaro cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Camaro cooling system

So is the 96 camaro run dex cool or regular coolant? My friend took his car to get fixed and they replaced the waterpump and thermostat and flushed and filled his coolant. We think it might have been dex before they got it because it was orange. But now its green. I always thought that dex cool started in 1998. But were just double checking.

Yea I was wondering the same thing. But if they did a full system flush and then put in the green would that matter.
    \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

Comment

Mine is a 96 and it is Dex cool (Orange)not green
      Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

Orange is bad for the car unless replaced frequently. It will seperate itself. Forget that 5 year deal. Flush it with the green stuff.

Comment

1996 has Dex-Cool...put in green stuff and it wears out the water pump.

Regardless of which coolant, flush it once a year...better to be safe. [img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img]

Comment

So for sure 96 is dex? Thanks guys. I always thought that if the car runs on Dex cool than your not supposed to put iin the regular stuff? isnt that right? Like you cant change the coolant type unless you replace cooling system parts right?

Comment

Thats right, I don't have the owner's manual in front of me, but it says something about WHY they aren't compatible.

Comment

It's not that they aren't compatible, adding the green silicated coolant to the orange slicate-free coolant completely changes the orange fluid, since now it will be silicated, and its purpose of lasting 5 years goes down the drain! I still get my cooling system drained every 2 years since car dealers like to exaggerate.
                1996 Camaro<br />Nothing special really done yet!

Comment

My 96 has green stuff. GM only used that orange stuff on some new cars then they switched back. As far as I know. It's your car, do what you want.

Comment

I have a 96 and I had the "orange stuff" right from the beginning!
                    1996 Camaro<br />Nothing special really done yet!

Comment

Same engine parts, if you mix the two antifreezes together they will turn into gel and not circulate, but you can flush and switch coolant types it wont hurt it...
                      99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X