Questions on '97 3.8 V6 manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on '97 3.8 V6 manual

First of all, I would like to say hello to everyone and I'm glad that I can finally discuss topics with the rest of you.

But, on another note, I had a few simple questions about my car, mainly about things I should change/replace before putting it back on the road. It all started 3 years ago when I was at work and got ran over by a forklift. The thing almost took my leg off, and for the past 3 years I've been rehabilitating it so that I could once again drive a manual transmission. Well, my leg is good to go now, so now I've been pretty much giving my car a tune up when my leg will permit, and I just wanted to ask a few of you, more mechanical enlightented people what all would be best to change on it if it has been sitting for 3 years without being cranked once.

Also, I know that the last time I drove it my slave cylinder was starting to go out, as well as a leak in my heater core, so I know I have to change those two things as well before I can start driving it again. I'm just asking, should I pretty much just change all the fluids, spark plugs/wires, pcv valve?

And I was curious, would it be practical to drain my tranny and replace the gear oil in it as well?

Well, thanks in advance for any help that you can shed on this subject.

Sincerely,
    Justin

Re: Questions on '97 3.8 V6 manual

I've talked to some that have brought cars back on the road after a longer time in storage than that, and from what i've heard, changing the fluids would be a good idea. I wouldn't worry about the spark plugs or wires, nor the pcv valve. They are usually not that suseptable to dry rot. My only concern would be if all the oil has drained from the upper engine parts, it may be advisable to fog and/or hand crank the engine over, to get it lubed, but some of these other guys may have some personal experience / insight on that.

It's only been three years, but it may pay to take a very careful look at the rubber under the hood to check for any cracks or swelling of the belt or hoses.

I don't see any problem with draining and filling the tranny, but some say they never bother changing it at all (I don't agree with that, but I drive an auto, so what do I know?).

Comment

Alright. I appreciate your advice on the matter. Thanks.

Comment

My turck sat for a while before starting. Disable fuel and crank it for a bit to get some oil pressure going. Once its going let it idle. Like said check obviosu things like belts and hoses.Be sure to check all fluids, things like a slow rearend leak over 3 years could be empty by now.

Comment

Yeah, I was planning on checking the rear and changing out the oil.

Also, to my surprise, I went out there this morning to work on it some, and I reached under the car to loosen my radiator drain plug and upon doing so I felt something drip onto my hand so I decided to pull my hand out and see what my coolant was looking like..... Well, to my shock when I looked at my hand it looked as though someone took a crap on my hand. Lots of rusted clumps with a small amount of liquid to it. So, I did some investigation and checked my thermostat next, well it was clumped with rust as well and stuck shut from the rusted gunk. So, I'm assuming the rust is all in my radiator hoses as well.

Would it be easiest to get rid of this rust by replacing the hoses and flushing the radiator lots and lots? I've heard of people using carb cleaner to flush their radiator when it looks like this, would anyone agree with that?

All help on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Comment

noticed the same problem with my rad. checked it about a month ago to see the freezing point (cold here in canada) dained the rad and added some dexcol in it.Fluid still looks crappy so I'll have to flush er out good, Ill post back with details when done, just looking for some answers mysef

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X