Tiny light bulb in driver's door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny light bulb in driver's door

My power door lock switch was broken. I installed a new one today. While I was in there I saw the wiring and socket for a tiny light bulb, like the kind in the gauge cluster. It did not have a bulb in it.

What is it for? I was looking at the Master switch housing to see if it went in there, but I don't see where it would go. I assume that it lights up the door lock, mirror, and window switches, but I am not sure.

I found in my Chilton's manual wiring diagrams that it is called left door illumination, and right door illumination. What does it illuminate.

Anyone???
    Last edited by nascar24jd; 11-09-2006, 06:14 PM.

Re: Tiny light bulb in driver's door

since the window switches arent backlit... it illuminates them when the lights are on.

Comment

Thanks. But, does it plug into something or does it just lay in there?

Comment

the thing twists into a socket in the door handle trim.

its really not worth the effort to change it. you can barely tell if theyre on or not.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

The manual calls for a 70 bulb. I had a 72, so I went outside and put it in. It was really bright. The light is coming out from around the window switches. I think that would annoy me while driving, so I took it out again.

Is it supposed to illuminate the outside edges of the switches?

Comment

no... atleast mine doesnt. it is a little hole in the top of the plastic that just lights up the tops of all the switches (doesnt shine thru the switches cuz its from the top). my light isnt that bright at all... and it dims with gauges. i like it.

Comment

I like it. I put 72's in there painted red.
              1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

After I moved the socket around a little it worked the way you guys describe. All good now. Thanks.

Comment

theres a writeup somewhere about switching the bulbs out for LED's which is a much better idea, i'd go with that if you want the light

Comment

i put in red leds and they might as well not even be there. :tdown:
                    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265676\" target=\"_blank\">95 bright red camaro 3.4l</a>

Comment

Follow up:

I was misunderstanding what you were all describing. These sockets in my car were still tucked into the factory wiring harness. The bulb socket only stuck out about 1/4 of an inch.

Yesterday I decided to pull on the wire and sure enough it slid right out. Now it reaches the proper location to plug it in.

Do you suppose the factory forgot to install bulbs and plug these in???

Anyway, looks great now. Nice red glow over the switches.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X