How do these mods sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do these mods sound?

Ok, as of now I only have a clamp-on K & N filter, TB spacer, and a Polished Stainless Magnaflow exhaust (2.5" outlet). I'm planning on going with PaceSetter ceramic coated headers, high-flow cat, Magnaflow cat-back dual exhaust, and possibly an aftermarket cam.... Should I expect decent hp gains from this setup or should I go with something else?

On the cam, which manufacturer should I go with?

1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L

I'm looking for the best products for my money. I was also told that an aftermarket thermostat will increase my power a bit. Is this true? Any info on mods will be greatly appreciated....

Re: How do these mods sound?

Originally posted by HullPerformanceRacing
    Ok, as of now I only have a clamp-on K & N filter, TB spacer, and a Polished Stainless Magnaflow exhaust (2.5" outlet). I'm planning on going with PaceSetter ceramic coated headers, high-flow cat, Magnaflow cat-back dual exhaust, and possibly an aftermarket cam.... Should I expect decent hp gains from this setup or should I go with something else?

On the cam, which manufacturer should I go with?
    This setup will work well but you don't need true dual exhaust. The headers and cat will give decent gains. CompCams makes a few cams that will work with the stock tune of the 3.4.

Originally posted by HullPerformanceRacing
    I was also told that an aftermarket thermostat will increase my power a bit. Is this true?
    A 180 thermo will help a little bit.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Yea you dont need a true dual exhaust. Its just not necessary for our cars. As for the cam, I have the NA cam from abbott racing, comp cams makes it. But abbott has everything you need. I suggest checking it out.

Comment

agreed, and to add, dual will actually cause you to LOSE hp. The thermo is good for 3-4 hp tops, so dont think too far into it.

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
          agreed, and to add, dual will actually cause you to LOSE hp. The thermo is good for 3-4 hp tops, so dont think too far into it.
          But thermos are like $15 so there worth it...

'96 Trans Am M6:) Cam, lifters, 1.6rr, lt4 springs, 4 bolt mains, long tubes, TDs, short throw...etc
          '99 Firebird SOLD 1/4 mile 15.4 @ 86
          '66 Ford SOLD

Comment

if you arent running the right tune for that respective thermo it may be no good at all.

Comment

you might want to consider ditching the 2 peice driveshaft and get an aluminum one

- youll feel more throttle response and better mpg, less rotating mass, they are also stronger, check forsale sections on here and www.ls1tech.com they cost between 100 and 130 shipped

A new rear end is a good investment too, with an LSD and disc brakes

-Im no expert one this seeing as i have not done this but the LSD will give you better traction off the line, the higher gear ratio (3.43 or 3.73) while slightly decreasing your mpg will give you a noticable difference in acceleration they cost around 250 (i think)

- and who wouldn't want disk brakes?

Those are just some mods to look into, use the search feature if they sound like things you wanna consider
              K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
                if you arent running the right tune for that respective thermo it may be no good at all.
                Good point; however, 180 with a stock tune of the 3.4 is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedingFirebird
                  Good point; however, 180 with a stock tune of the 3.4 is fine.
                  nah a stock theremostat is good for a stock 3.4, unless you have the comp reprogramed to advance the timing and turn the fans on earlyer a colder t-stat is accually hurting you
                  you want to run as hot as possible (with out pinging)

underdrive pullies are good on a 3.4 if you don't already have 'em
                  Wolf<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/249111/7\" target=\"_blank\">95 black t-top camaro</a>,3.4 5 speed,ud pullies,plugs/wires,de-shaft tb & gutted airbox, homemaid short throw shifter

Comment

Originally posted by wolf
                    nah a stock theremostat is good for a stock 3.4, unless you have the comp reprogramed to advance the timing and turn the fans on earlyer a colder t-stat is accually hurting you
                    you want to run as hot as possible (with out pinging)
                    The fan only matters when you are not moving. I agree the 160 hurts but not the 180.

Originally posted by wolf
                    underdrive pullies are good on a 3.4 if you don't already have 'em
                    Good point. A cheap couple of HP for the 3.4

Comment

if you want to add all those parts anyway, you should get a tune regardless. In all honesty, the tune i got was more noticeable than any part i put on the car. Granted the tune was designed for the all the bolt-ons. I run a 160* t-stat with no complaints.
                      Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

I've got a 180* stat... i like it but i fear going back into open loop on the interstate with the heat on... the temp gauge is below 180 going 75 and there really isnt much for heat out of the vents. and the fans still dont kick on til like 220 or something higher.

anyone know at what temp the OBD-1 cars go into closed loop operation, and if it is possible to go back into open loop from a 180 stat?

Comment

Originally posted by Harrison
                          if you want to add all those parts anyway, you should get a tune regardless. In all honesty, the tune i got was more noticeable than any part i put on the car. Granted the tune was designed for the all the bolt-ons. I run a 160* t-stat with no complaints.

You have a 3.8 Tunes for the 3.4 are much harder to come by and are more expensive. One get a lot of HP out of the 3.4 w/ the stock tune.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                            New Owner!
                            by LETZRIDE
                            I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                            3 days ago
                          • ssms5411
                            Little work today
                            by ssms5411
                            Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                            2 weeks ago
                          • LETZRIDE
                            Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                            by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                            Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                            By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                            Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                            02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X