Rattling noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattling noise

So my car is making a rattling noise when it first starts up. It only make the noise after it's sat for several hours, like more than 6. I figured it might be starved for oil so I added some but it's still making the noise. It quits rattling after running for a minute and like i said, it doesn't do it everytime. Any suggestions?

Re: Rattling noise

if its a rattle, you might want to check the exhaust heat sheilds under that car.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

i would clean out the whole motor... use seafoam, or whatever and then see what happens. Sometimes that gets rid of alot of knocks or whatnots. Could be exhaust shield or anything. When my car idles high you can hear the change in the console rattling... good luck finding it.
      Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

I'm gonna try seafoaming it. I started it up this morning and heard the rattling (of course) and leaned in for a closer investigation. I can hear it coming more from the bottom of the car, which would lead me to think it would be an exhaust sheild. But the thing is that I don't understand why it would only make noise when it first starts up after sitting for several hours. It doesn't make the noise when the RPM's are high so I don't know what to make of this.

Comment

my guess... exhaust hanger, or heat shield as was already said... When the car sits for that long, all the metal parts of the exhaust cool, and then after it warms up, the metals will contract and expand causing parts to rattle when cool. I would start it and if it rattles, then get under there with a flashlight and your ears open and search around and try to narrow it down. It also makes sense that it doesn't happen at high RPM's b/c your exhaust vibrates less at higher RPM's
          Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
          Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

is it coming from the front or the back? what sort of "rattle" is it? i had a noise that turned outto be a loose timing chain hitting the cover.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
            Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by Loochy88
              is it coming from the front or the back? what sort of "rattle" is it? i had a noise that turned outto be a loose timing chain hitting the cover.
              Its the loudest toward the rear of the engine on the bottom. It's loud and sounds like something's hitting a thin peice of metal... like an exhaust shield. I searched around this morning and I couldn't hear that the noise was coming from the front so I don't think it was the timing chain.. but i'll keep that in mind if I can't track it down anywhere else.

Comment

bring this back... did you ever find out what the problem was?

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by Loochy88
                  bring this back... did you ever find out what the problem was?
                  Yea it was an exhaust shield. I torqued it down as tight as i could but it's still rattling. It's not a big deal and i'm glad it's not something internal. I'm thinking I might just take it off. Doesn't look like it's guarding much so I don't think it'll do much hurt to just get rid of it. I hate when I start it up and it starts rattling and people look at my car like it's a peice of crap just because of the noise :(

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X