Front vent & Rear defrost questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front vent & Rear defrost questions

Hello. I recently bought a 1998 Firebird, and like any used car this are a few minor problems that I can't seem to solve right off the back.

The first thing I've noticed with the car is when the vent or A/C is turned on, no air is coming out of the vents at the level of the steering wheel. The little vent things closes to the mirrors work properly. Air comes out from the top of the dash and the bottom near your feet. I checked all the tubes that run into the car through the engine bay. Everything looks fine in there. Switching between A/C, hot and cold change perfectly fine when I turn the dials. Any suggestions on where to look?

The second thing I noticed is the rear defrost does not turn on when the button is pressed. The light itself doesn't even come on. I was thinking maybe a bad fuse for the rear defrost. I'm not sure.

All the other controls function properly, at the moment.

Re: Front vent & Rear defrost questions

replace the 30amp breaker for the defrost with a 30amp regular fuse. let me know how that works
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

Re: Front vent & Rear defrost questions

With your front HVAC controls, it sounds like there is no vacuum getting to the controls. When there is not vacuum, the system defaults to defrost for safety, so you can have clear windows. You need to get a hand-operated vacuum pump w/ a gauge and start checking the lines for leaks.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Re: Front vent &amp; Rear defrost questions

The defrost and power seats are on the same braker. I replaced it with a fuse, and then with a new breaker. Only the seats worked. The rear defrost still doesn't work.

I'll check the HVAC when I find time.

I'm currently at school until winter, so it's not really a big deal to me to have too much air or A/C. I guess I'm used to it. I used to have a Camaro with no air :eek:

Also, a little off topic, but is there an easy way to check if the gears on the car were changed? The tag says it's GU4 (3.08). I constantly spin out at a stop lights if I apply a little more than average pressure to the peddle.

Comment

Re: Front vent &amp; Rear defrost questions

Originally posted by Rob Bell
          With your front HVAC controls, it sounds like there is no vacuum getting to the controls. When there is not vacuum, the system defaults to defrost for safety, so you can have clear windows. You need to get a hand-operated vacuum pump w/ a gauge and start checking the lines for leaks.
          Old thread, but here is what I found out... I finally got some free time to mess with the car. Say I turn the key half way so I get accessories, the radio, windows and whatnot. When I turn the HVAC unit to vent on any level (1 - 4) I can hear a motor to the left of the engine turn on. If I stick my hand into the region where I hear this motor I can feel air being blown out. I can't really tell what tube it is, or is a bolt or clamp might be loose. It's before it routes into the car. So if anyone knows what tube is the HVAC I'll take a look at it when I get off work in the morning.

Here is a crappy shot of my engine bay about a month ago. I'm sorry for the lack of quality, but it was from my phone:

and like I said: I hear the noise and feel the air in the left region of the picture near the back, and it's probably before it leads into the car.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X