Popup Headlights Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popup Headlights Not Working

I own a 2000 Firebird and have recently been experiencing problems with my headlights. First, the right headlight stopped opening (would only open if I had someone else turn the switch and I applied a little pressure to the back of the light cover). Then, a few days later, my left headlight started grinding when it would close.

After searching the message board, I found that the grinding was due to the headlight motor gear wearing down. I decided to purchase the brass gears and replace both at the same time (well, I actually did one at a time...just in case).

Well, after re-installing both headlight motors, the popup headlights no longer work (open). When I switch them on, the headlights illuminate but the doors do not pop open. Any ideas why this is? I have checked the headlight door fuses and both are okay. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance,
    Don

Re: Popup Headlights Not Working

Originally posted by machiv44
    I own a 2000 Firebird and have recently been experiencing problems with my headlights. First, the right headlight stopped opening (would only open if I had someone else turn the switch and I applied a little pressure to the back of the light cover). Then, a few days later, my left headlight started grinding when it would close.

After searching the message board, I found that the grinding was due to the headlight motor gear wearing down. I decided to purchase the brass gears and replace both at the same time (well, I actually did one at a time...just in case).

Well, after re-installing both headlight motors, the popup headlights no longer work (open). When I switch them on, the headlights illuminate but the doors do not pop open. Any ideas why this is? I have checked the headlight door fuses and both are okay. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance,
    Don

check and make sure that when u rehooked everything, the bar that goes from the headlight housing to the motor itself isnt bent in the wrong direction

if it is they motor wont move at all

Comment

The linkage appears to be connected properly (I even compared it with the other headlight before I removed that one). I can manually open and close the headlight doors with no problem (they're currently open so I can drive at night). It'd just be a little nice if the motors would work again.

Comment

Okay, I'm not sure if this is the problem or not...

I noticed quite a bit of corrosion on the connector for the right headlight wiring. In fact, one of the pins for the headlight motor appears to have broken. Are both headlight motors required to be connected in order for the headlight doors to open/close? Is this what is meant by SENSE IN on the headlamp doors module wiring diagram (Haynes manual)? I'm half tempted to just splice the motor wires together (bypassing the connector) to see if that works. Any ideas?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X