How can you tell if water pump is going out - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can you tell if water pump is going out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell if water pump is going out

I smelt antifreeze and turned off the car and couldn't see anything after a few minutes of looking I saw a few drips of coolant coming from the pully that is on the water pump. The coolant driped on the belt below this pully. I have been driving the car and haven't seen it since . Can a water pump leak and stop for a while ?
    97 firebird
    3800 seriesII
    Last edited by 97SILVERBIRD; 10-06-2006, 06:39 PM.
    97SILVERBID<br />Born to cruise

Re: How can you tell if water pump is going out

yes its possible
    another way to tell its going out is if the car starts getting too hot
    the impeller fins sometimes rot out
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

well, when you shut the car off, the water pump is no longer pressurizing the system and if the coolant leak only occurs while under pressure to seep by a seal or something, then yes, that could explain your situation.
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Mine leaked when it died. I could smeel antifreeze so I turned off the car and looked, but nothing. With the car on it was leaking like it was going out of style. The engine heating up quickly and to high is another good indication.

Comment

smelling antifreeze could also be a blown head gasket. i dont want to scare you into thinking that, but if its NOT the fuel pump, this could be your problem. if you take your car to a shop they should be able to hook up a mechanical fuel pressure gauge up pretty easily and test to see if you are getting enough pressure from the pump when your car is engaged or at idle, and that will let you know if its bad or not.

where are you smelling the coolant from?
          Dave:
          00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
          97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

If it is leaking out the weap hole of the water pump then it is time to change it. Cheap insurance, just change it, don't take a chance.

Comment

Oh, and whatever you do, do not add any type of "stop leak". They are all bad news, I don't care what anyone says.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X