Air Dam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Dam?

im pretty sure the plastic thing that sticks out from under a stock camaro is the air dam.... please correct me if im wrong. what does it do and is there a way to take it off cause it dosent look to good in my opinion

Re: Air Dam?

it doesnt, but thats exactly what it is, keeps your radiator cool.

Comment

You HAVE to HAVE an air dam
      IMHO it looks good, it also keeps you from scrapeing the h3ll out of your bumper
      DONT take it off, unless you have Extensive mods to where you dont have to have it (like: no metal front bumper, no honey comb styrofoam, no A/C, and stuff like that)
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

^^Agreed...Do not remove it! It is there for a purpose. It pulls air from under the front of car and forces it through the radiator to cool it. Without it, your engine will overheat within a very short period of time and possibly seize up.

If you don't like the way it looks, then decorate it...
        sigpic

Comment

Yea, dont remove it cuz like that say it brings air into your radiator. Also youll need it if you get a Ram air kit for your car as it will help deflect air into it. You can however find aluminum air dams to replace the ugly plastic piece if you wanted. Most people wont notice it but its a choice thats out there.
          01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
          AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
          www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
          www.vaperz.com
          PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

I'm glad I have the black plastic air dam cause every once in a while if I dont't approach my driveway at the right anle it will scrape. Make a terrible noise! I hope those aluminum dams have some sort of spring/hinge attachment for times like that!
            Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Have any of you guys ever had your air dam off? I know you're all giving good advice, but the air dam doesn't do much for the V6 cars. Some of you know that my car was wrecked and rebuilt before I got it. The previous owner hadn't put a new air dam back on the car when he sold it to me. I drove the car around for 3 years without ever overheating. I got a used air dam from somebody parting out a car on this board a while back, and the temps stayed the same as always, and the car didn't act any different.

Just my experience.
              ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Originally posted by silvachris1
                Have any of you guys ever had your air dam off? I know you're all giving good advice, but the air dam doesn't do much for the V6 cars. Some of you know that my car was wrecked and rebuilt before I got it. The previous owner hadn't put a new air dam back on the car when he sold it to me. I drove the car around for 3 years without ever overheating. I got a used air dam from somebody parting out a car on this board a while back, and the temps stayed the same as always, and the car didn't act any different.

Just my experience.
                I have a different opinon than you and I may be wrong, but are you SURE you're talking about the right part? If so, then you have a good set of cooling fans! Because I left my air dam off on an older 86 T/A and the engine reached a very high temp within 1/2 an hour. I had to pul over, open the hood, and wait a little while before driving the car home.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silvachris1

Just my experience.
                  must've had reprogrammed fans or a cooler thermostat or didnt dog it much or just got lucky
                  right conditions happen and most peoples will overheat
                  2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

over the years I have seen a few people remove it and have overheating problems. You "might" get awaywith it but I say keep it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X