biggest weakness of the L36?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biggest weakness of the L36?

i've been searching for the biggest problem that the L36 has in regards to performance, i.e. the biggest thing holding it back. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything aside from the fact that the engine doesn't come with a power adder from the factory.

now, some smartasses will say "there's nothing wrong with the L36!" but just about every engine has some problem area that, once improved, unlocks more power than can be had with just basic bolt-ons.

so, what is it? the intake manifold, the heads, the camshaft? the bore or stroke of the engine? etc. etc., you catch my drift.
    \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Re: biggest weakness of the L36?

the main problem with EVERY stock engine is its ability to breathe. thats it. the better it can suck in and blow out air, the better volumetric efficiency (VE) gets. if you graph VE versus force (torque) you find that the graphs mirror each other at every little turn.
    the biggest thing is just to get a good intake setup, no-low restriction exhaust and ported heads and intake. the closer to 100% VE you get, the closer you get to unlocking everything an engine has to offer.
    EDIT: side note: F1 teams get more than 100% efficiency by designing intakes that force air in using the physics of the engine and exhaust that sucks it out. but thats all a rediculous amount of engineering and design. just stick to stuff that'll allow that bad boy to breathe.
    Last edited by Camaro Dom; 10-04-2006, 01:16 PM.
    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

our upper/lower intakes are pretty poorly setup, you can port them out, but the runners and all are still kind of poorly setup. A custom intake could help our cars out.
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

the heads
        ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

Originally posted by jc Kyle
          the heads
          zzp has aluminum heads coming out so that will be taken care of. Plus porting the stocker shows really good results. So I would say we don't have to worry about heads anymore. Nobody is making new intakes for us yet though

Comment

I'd say it's the fuel system. I've been told that the reason why we can only do around 8 psi on stock engines is cuz the fuel isn't getting there fast enough.
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

i dunno man, 8 psi is a decent amount of boost to be running on a stock motor. i wouldnt say "only 8". its alot of stress on the system. i'd still say go after air first and fuel second. but tuning is required the whole way thru if im not mistaken.
              2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Originally posted by Camaro Dom
                i dunno man, 8 psi is a decent amount of boost to be running on a stock motor. i wouldnt say "only 8". its alot of stress on the system. i'd still say go after air first and fuel second. but tuning is required the whole way thru if im not mistaken.
                Ya, it's a decent amount, but you see other cars running like 20 psi stock. Once you get over that, you can throw a turbo on there, and you shouldn't have any induction problems :P
                ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                A few things

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
                  I'd say it's the fuel system. I've been told that the reason why we can only do around 8 psi on stock engines is cuz the fuel isn't getting there fast enough.
                  I would say that around 8 psi is the threshold for our stock engine. You go over that and your gonna have bigger problems
                  Ya, at 8psi you would need more fuel
                  2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                    I would say that around 8 psi is the threshold for our stock engine. You go over that and your gonna have bigger problems
                    Ya, at 8psi you would need more fuel
                    And still, if you didn't want to go with a turbo, and went with N2O instead, the reason a 50 shot is recommened is cuz otherwise you'll need a way to get more fuel to the engine.
                    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
                    A few things

Comment

you can do a 75 shot no problem on the stock system.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X