Brown Coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Coolant

I just changed my radiator fluid cuz it was brown and gross.
    Then it got brown and gross again within a day.

so i changed it again.

everytime i change my coolant it goes from green to brown as fast as you can say "why is it doing this"
    is this dangerous?
    how to i fix it?

please help

Re: Brown Coolant

eiither get a flush kit from parts store (read directions on it good) or take it in to shop.
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

You are only changing what is in the radiator. You need to flush the entire system (block, heads, heater core). Do a search on coolant flush and you will get it all out. Trust me, I just got rid of the exact same problem.

Comment

well for one, you are not flushing the entire system and then you are using the green crap.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

lol wat crap should I use?

Comment

dex-cool is the brand of coolant used for our cars. It is naturally brown. You are adding green coolant in the radiator to the existent brown coolant.. thus that is the reason it's changing so fast. You need to flush your system. A cheap kit can be bought at auto zone for 10 bucks.. hook your hose up to a rubber tube (forget which one) and let the car run with the hose on... but yeah.. you're adding green coolant to orange/brown stuff
            ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

my brown stuff is kinda lumpy though...as if there is a forgeign substance in it causing it to congeal almost....what could that be?

Comment

it means you have a dirty coolant system.. you need to flush it
                ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

how much is does normal flush at a garage cost?

Comment

dexcool is orange :p

call around and ask. it will vary greatly
                    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

i think i paid something like 60 bucks plus coolant at one of those 10 minute oil change places last year. yeah, it was gross. all that nasty stuff is mostly 2 things: 1- rust 2- fluid thats gone bad (think of how oil sludges up... same thing. kinda)
                      2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

it's usually 60-75.. much easier to do it yourself though if you head up to autozone.. only problem with doing it yourself is A) a mess on the ground B) the water travels one way through the engine.. not reverse.. therefore STILL not as good as a mechanic's flush.. but it still works fine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X