Body Control Module (BMC) how do you remove it? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Body Control Module (BMC) how do you remove it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body Control Module (BMC) how do you remove it?

I need to remove my Body Control module because of a problem that just started with the radio and power widows cutting out and a buzzing sound coming from the windshield wiper motor assembly in the cowl area.:mad:

I’ve narrowed the problem down to the J2 connector (at least that's what is stamped on the BMC) on the BMC. You can create the fault when you wiggle the connecter. The harness connector is ok, but I believe the pin connections to the circuit board in the BMC are F***ed. :(

When looking at the BMC installation yesterday and I know I have to remove the kick-panel so that I can pull it straight down. But how is the BMC held in there? I couldn’t find any screws or even a lock clip that held it in place, and I don’t like yanking on stuff like this cause that’s when I usually break things.

I’ve searched the posts and have found some posts regarding problems with the BMC, but nothing about how to remove it. The useless Haynes manual says nothing as usual!

Anyone got an answer?
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Re: Body Control Module (BMC) how do you remove it?

I removed mine about 4 months ago and there was nothing to it. I removed the glovebox and that kick panel so I could see a lil better. Then I disconnected the wire harness and just pulled it out. There is a pressure "clip" that holds it in. There is nothing really holding it so just pull.
    Originally posted by kala
    I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
    parting her out

Comment

Great! I'll be pulling it out tonight and breaking it open to repair the PC board/terminal connections.

Called the Stealership yesterday and they want $430.00 for a new one!:eek:
      And then it still needs to get programed!!

Thanks for the response.
      Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

got a slight case of dyslexia there buddy
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I've been called worse! BMC.....BCM....CMB....but in the end you know what I mean. Sometimes the fingers move quicker than the brain.

Comment

FYI/UPDATE

I disconnected the battery and removed the BCM (thanks to crushedout I didn't break, crack, bend, distort, or bust anything....for once!) from the car, took it to the workbench and then split it open. Very easy to open too! Just release 2 lock clips and it opens up like a butterfly’s wings. Removed the PC board and inspected it. I was expecting to find corrosion and loose connections, but found none. But what I did find was some sort of residue on the pins for the J1 and J2 connectors. I think that maybe it was some sort of conductive grease that had hardened up or something. Didn’t like that, so I cleaned the pins really good and made sure there was none of that crap left, then I put the BCM back together.

Then I went to the car and again checked out the connector plugs on the harnesses. The terminals in the plugs has small traces of the crap on them. So one by one, I removed each terminal from the connector plug, cleaned up the contact face, and tightened up the pin guides by bending them in a little bit, and then re-installed back into the connector plug.

Re-installed the BCM, plugged in the connectors, and re-connected the battery. This is day 2 since I did that work and the fault has not re-occurred. Hope this is the fix as I do not want to spend the $500+ to have the BCM replaced!

Comment

Sweet :banana:

I had my dome lights going on and off and found a burn mark when I opened mine up. Added a piece of sauter from the two points and no more blinking dome light.
              Originally posted by kala
              I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
              parting her out

Comment

You gotta love it when you can fix things like that!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X