Geez.. perhaps a big V6 problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geez.. perhaps a big V6 problem...

Ok.. I have a 99 v6 camaro, 104k on the ticker..

I was near the end of a 1.5 hour road trip.. when I noticed my accleration was GONE. I was at 60mph.. would floor it.. the camaro would barely move.. I thought this was odd. Perhaps overheating or something. I check all the gauges.. nothing wrong yet. A few minutes pass I notice that my oil pressure has DROPPED.. like.. towards the lower 1/4 of the gauge.. if not a little before it. Then I hear clanking from INSIDE the engine. So the oil pressure continues to drop.. the check engine light turns on.. the car stops. I tried to start it a few times immediately after.. the engine would turn, and start.. clank a WHOLE lot then stop again. Let it sit for a few hours. Started it and it ran with the clanking still there.. went down the street, clanking all the way.. then a big clank and it stopped. Had it towed.. took the serpentine belt off, still made the noise. Engine starts right up but will prolly die if pushed. Was able to move it out of a parking lot and onto a flatbed, and back off into the driveway. Clanking the entire time. Any ideas?
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Re: Geez.. perhaps a big V6 problem...

Sounds like you blew a rod. How much oil do you have in you car?

Comment

i hadn't changed it in about 4000 miles... it seemed close to full...
      ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

So your oil is full at the moment? What may have happened it you blew a rod and it hit your oil level sensor and broke it. Which would have casued your oil light to come on. That is what happend to mine a couple months ago. I blew two rods. One of them hit my oil level sender and the other just went into the pan. My car will still drive and work but leaked oil like crazy. My car would act like it had the same amount of power but getting over 60 was almost impossible. Im not saying that is your exact problem but it sounds like a good bet. I have a 1993 3.4l and i bought a remanufactured motor for 1700 and i had it put in for 1300. That may be a little much but around here in dover, de mechanics are expensive. Make sure that you oil is full though.

Comment

Well, one thing's for sure...you're going to need a rebuild! Maybe this is a good time to start thinking of modding the V6 during the rebuild, or swap for a V8.
          sigpic

Comment

the oil light sensor did not turn on.. just the oil pressure dropped, and the Check Gages light came on.. upon restarting the oil pressure was normal, no check gages or service engine light.. but the engine is clankety clank... a rod you guys are thinking? I'll do this myself.. I just don't know where to start..

Comment

and by the way hockeyman.. you have been answering my random general tech questions for years now.. off and on.. thank you very much. It really is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jc Kyle
                and by the way hockeyman.. you have been answering my random general tech questions for years now.. off and on.. thank you very much. It really is appreciated.
                No problem! I'm not giving solid fact...to say the least, but I have been working on cars for quite some time and learned a few odd-n-ends over the years. It's never to late to keep learing though:)
                I'm trying to get into bodywork & painting though :rock: I feel as though that's my passion!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jc Kyle
                  the oil light sensor did not turn on.. just the oil pressure dropped, and the Check Gages light came on.. upon restarting the oil pressure was normal, no check gages or service engine light.. but the engine is clankety clank... a rod you guys are thinking? I'll do this myself.. I just don't know where to start..

I'm pretty certain if you really dont know what you are doing, a thrown rod isnt something you can just fix, it pretty much requires an overhaul of the whole motor, depending on how bad you scarred up your cylinder walls, and if it damaged the crank, running it after you heard the clank was the wrong thing to do, and could possibly have meant the death of your motor as you know it. but good luck with that

Comment

ok.. I wanna bust this baby open.. how do i begin opening it up? I'll disconnect all the power stuff. I just wanna get inside and see what I broke.. hell, since it'll be out of commission for so long.. might as well poke around myself ya know?

Comment

you are gonna want to pull it and put it on an engine stand
                      i'd recommend getting a replacement junkyard motor
                      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

is your oil look like baby SH!T? it kinda sounds like hydro lock

or you spun a rod bearing but that shouldn't stop it from running
                        www.turbov6camaro.com
                        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

I would put a replacement motor in.

i think its dumb to rebuild a motor stock... junkyard replacements are very availible and very cheap.

Unless you say want to do a buildup but I suggest put a motor in your car and build up the motor on the side.

Comment

it still runs.. just very clanky.. i can move it up and down the driveway.. haven't tried anything on the road since the day it happened.. where i drove it down the street and then heard a big clank, then it stopped. The engine would restart but after a few pumps would die.. the next day it really didn't have a problem driving through the tow lot onto the truck.. and drive off the truck and into the driveway. No problems at idle except for the engine racket. Gauges looked solid unlike the day it happened. So i guess my next purchase is an engine stand... this should be fun.. Maybe I'll put a better toy in it lol

Comment

so um.. i see engine stands for different weights.. what one should i get? I'm seriously starting this tomorrow.. so tips on what to disconnect first would be helpful.. it's ALLL YOUR FAULTS IF I KILL MYSELF haha..

I have a winter car that I use, so.. this thing being out of commission is FINE

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X