Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new issues, where to look?

Just started doing this:
    Start the vehicle up, and everything works just fine, oil pressure reads nice, car drives ok..

When it gets up to operating temperature and at idle, the oil pressure will start to drop.... also, there's a burning oil smell/smoke coming from under the hood.. you can actually see smoke coming through... and the temperature will start to rise fairly quick..

If you give it gas, the oil pressure will go back up.. Car never overheats while in movement, but if have to stop in traffic for too long, the temperature will climb again...

So, pretty sure it's an oil leak? but Can't see it off hand, and there's no spots on the driveway.

Re: new issues, where to look?

I think you have a mutitude of problems there lad.

The smoke from under the hood is probably valve cover gaskets and/or intake manifold gaskets.

Oil pressure drop at idle rpm and at high temps are not of grave concern unless pressure drops to extreme low pressures. Consult your owners manual for allowable pressures.

The overheating, I would bet is from the electric cooling fan not comming on (since cooling is ok when car is moving). And that can be from a variety of reasons like, temp sensor, fan relay, wiring, or the fan motor itself.

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you!
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Thing is, all this happend at the same time.. could one thing have led to another?

Comment

The possibilty is there.

For example, the fan stops working properly, engine starts to overheat, oil gets thin and pressure drops, and the high temp is the final thing that cause the valve covers (which could have been on the verge of leaking) to start leaking.

I'm not saying that this is exactly what happened or even if these are your exact problems. But the possibilty is there.

Get under the hood of that thing and start looking really closely.

Worst case senerio is that you've blown a head gasket. Check to see if you have evidence of coolant in your oil. The oil will look light brown with and foamy.
        Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

get under the car and look. i had the same problem. i busted out my oil pan gasket a few times. and if you get oil on your exhaust the smoke can come out anyway that i wants.

just wipe things down and look.

in our car the oil temp is always jumping around. it's an fbody thing
          WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Don't get freaked out about the head gasket thing, If you car isn't overheating when its moving then it isn't a head gasket. If you had a bad head gasket it would overheat when the car is in motion as well as when not.

Comment

When you say overheating what temp is your guage reading? F-bodys naturally heat up when they aren't moving because there is no air hitting the air dam and the stock setting for the fan to flip on is fairly high.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X