How to change the window motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change the window motor?

I was wondering if there is a write up on how to change the drivers side window motor on a 97 firebird v6... Thanks in advance..

Re: How to change the window motor?

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

the pictures have captions and all for helping you along, just click them for bigger pics
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

i been looking for that link forever lol
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I changed both motors in my son's 97 Firebird, and it was a PITA for me-and I consider myself very mechanically inclined. If I ever do it again, I believe it will be at least a little easier, now that I have some experience.
        BTW, after you get your door panel off, you will see the large opening in the rear of the door. I was able to actually stick part of my head in the door through this hole, and could see the whole window mechanism inside the door. You can also stick your arm through this hole of course, to be able to get to whatever you can't get to from the speaker hole in the front.

Anyway, good luck:)

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
          just had to ask, I have had that thing bookmarked forever. I need to change mine this winter when I take it off the road.
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Well a word of advice from my time chaning mine, you will probably want to use screws longer than the ones provided to same a lot of time and hassle.

Comment

Yikes, that looks like a lot of work to change a window motor! Why couldn't GM come up with a better mounting procedure, or at least place some sort of guides so you know where to drill. I don't like the idea of having to drill holes in the door to expose the rivets, seems like not much thought went into the design.

Maybe it's just eaasier to take it to a GM service ctr, but buy the motors cheap from here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Originally posted by Scarano
                I don't like the idea of having to drill holes in the door to expose the rivets, seems like not much thought went into the design.
                [/url]
                Well it's pretty much just your first hole because you can kind og feel around for the rivets.

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                  last time (two weeks ago) this same question and link came up i suggested a sticky. i think this may add a bit more weight to my case :D
                  2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Actually, its pretty easy. It took me all of 45 minutes to do.
                    Doug<br />1996 Camaro RS M5 Y87<br />SLP Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, 1LE frt/rear sway bars

Comment

Will that same process also wok for adding window motors? I currently do not have power windows or locks, would I be able to do this if I bought the window motors and the panel? Are adding power locks just as easy? Is there a writeup?

Comment

I just did mine and it took almost 2 hrs, only because the rivets that hold the window frame to the door were broken. Also some of the fiberglass on the door was cracked. I drilled new holes in the door and frame and installed new bolts and assebled everything and it worked like a charm. That shbox website was an excellent guide. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X