Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant leak on back of motor

Hello,

I need some help. I have a '94 3.4L Camaro with an auto trans. We have coolant leaking from the bottom of the bellhousing. I can only trace it as far up as the back of the oil pan on the driver's side. I can see droplets move around where the pan/block kinda' meets the bell. Then the leak runs down the bell and drips out where the bell vent is.
    Even with a telescoping mirror, I can't see much; I couldn't feel wetness above that, reaching from below the car or from above.

I'm kinda stumped as to what the source is. Are there any freeze plugs up there (not sure why one would leak - I live in the desert. It was 90* today). Are intake gaskets on 3.4's known to leak?

If y'all think it's an intake gasket, how bad a task is that (I find having the motor buried where the interior should be makes it hard to work on this motor). :)

Any pointed or random thoughts are very much appreciated! Thank you.

Re: coolant leak on back of motor

id say intake gaskets. shouldnt be too hard of a fix. on a scale of 1 to 10 id say its maybe a 4 at most on the difficulty scale. replace those and see if it stops.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

on my 3rd gen V6 I had two times this coolant leak like you depicts...

it was always a leaky freeze plug..... there are three on the rear of the engine, but I'm not sure with the 3,4L

I think it's a 9 on a scale from 1 to 10..... sorry :(

you must remove the transmision / gearbox to repair it.....

good luck!!
      greetings from Germany
      Thomas

PS: sorry for my english... if you found any mistakes, let me know....I'm learning

Comment

Thank you for the replies guys.

Can anyone think of a way to narrow it down any? It would be two completely different tear downs for each one.

Thank you very much for both replies!

Thomas, dein Englisch is viel besser als mein Deutsch. Ich habe (oder gibt es hatte?) fast alles vergessen. :(

Comment

Hey, your german is very very good!
          Yes, hatte is okay but habe too..... :)

Nice too meet someone who's speeking german too.....
          have you spend some time here in Germany? Soldier?

sorry to the other members, but I try it in german:

Versuche bitte mal den Deckel vom bellhousing abzuschrauben. Leuchte mit eine Taschenlampe hinter den Starterkranz..... ist es dort nass? Dann können es die freeze plugs sein. Meine waren einfach durchgerostet, trotz anti freeze Zusatz :( GM hat dort damals sehr schlechtes Material eingesetzt. Messing ist hier eine gute Wahl!

hope this helps
          greetings from Germany
          Thomas

PS: sorry for my english... if you found any mistakes, let me know....I'm learning

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X