Alternator bolt torque on 98 3.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator bolt torque on 98 3.8

Did a search ,no go.The Haynes manual has no info.Anyone know the 3 bolts torque specs?
    geocor

Re: Alternator bolt torque on 98 3.8

My Haynes has a chart that is "[f]or fasteners not assigned a specific torque."

Measuring the major diameter, or the outer part of the thread, and the thread pitch which usually you can guess by looking at them to determine if they are "fine" or "coarse". Use the chart below for fasteners into steel or cast iron. These values are assuming that the bolts are clean and dry.

Size Torque Ft-Lbs
    Met-(mm)
    M-6 6-9
    M-8 14-21
    M-10 28-40
    M-14 80-140

SAE
    1/4-20 6-9
    5/16-18 12-18 (this would be a "coarse" thread)
    5/16-24 14-20 (this would be a "fine" thread)
    3/8-16 22-32
    3/8-24 27-38
    7/16-14 40-55
    7/16-20 40-60
    1/2-13 55-80

But really, I would say "snug." If you break one, then replace it and tighten it "not-so-snug".

Comment

In all the years that I've been working on cars, never torqued alternator attach bolts. Not critical enough to warrent getting the torque wrench out. Always just used "reef torque". You know..."reef on it"! That is to pull with some strength but not all of your stength. I guess you get a feel for it over the years.
      Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

yes, you do get a feel of it, based on how long your wrench is.
        the longer the wrench, the less you have to pull
        I just snug it up good, definately not too tight and not loose
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Hi geocor,

As you face the motor, the (upper) front right bolt goes to 22lb-ft and the (lower) front left bolt goes to 37 lb-ft. Around the rear, that bolt goes to 22 lb-ft. The positive cable nut goes to 16 lb-ft. Those are per GM's factory manual.
          I just had to replace some parts on my car that necessitated taking off the alternator & the tensioner. It's not really that hard, just annoying. Especially the tensioner and its plastic parts that the manual says to just break if it can't come out. Yeah, the factory manual says that.
          Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanx for all, the info fellow Fbody owners.Steven C thanx for the exact spec.I know this is not critical but I like to do things to the letter on my Camaro.
            geocor

Comment

good call and good info steven!
              2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Thanks for singling me out for applause, that always feels nice. But everyone gave good advice too. Just trying to do what I can, which is usually not much :P If anyone needs specs or instructions from the manual, I'd be happy to help. Haynes is pretty good though, I like them for simplicity. Sometimes they've have better pics/angles than the factory manual.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X