electric window problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric window problems

My driver side window will go down but stops halfway when rolling up. It then will go up in little spurts, but you have to wait a few minutes in between, takes about 6 minutes to get it to close. The way i see it, it's either a motor going bad or a limiter switch problem. Any one have this problem before?

Re: electric window problems

mine is doing that as we speak also....I replaced it before with a new window motor about 6 months ago...I dont know if my motor is going bad again or what....? hope someone can help us! I have another window motor that i may install unless its something else

Comment

Do you know if the limiter switch is built into the motor?

Comment

It's the motor. Common symptom.
        1998 Camaro V6 \"Black Mamba\"<br />Y87<br />Whisper Lid w/ K&N filter<br />Flowmaster American Thunder<br />Numerous appearance mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154172\" target=\"_blank\">Car Domain</a>

Comment

I had the same issue. Replaced the motor with a $22 one from Ebay, and it works fine.
          2000 Camaro 3.8 <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383</a>

Comment

i would check the switch first. Everyone told me it was the motor, but i got the switch for less than 15 bux and it fixed the problem. Mine would go down but not up for atleast a couple minutes, hours, or days!
            Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

If it's going up or down in spurts, its generally because the motor is going bad. There is a thermal switch fuse breaker built into the motor near it's brushes. When the motor is producing too much resistance (aka it's going bad) the thermal switch heats up and then brakes the connection.

A good way of verifying that the motor is going bad and not the switch is if it stops and you press it again, the motor only makes the window move a little. If you wait a while (1 minute or more) and press the window switch, the motor will move the window much more (possibly all the way up).

Replacing it isn't hard. Took me an hour following Rob's pictorial how-to:
              http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

I replaced mine with one that was supposed to be a Siemens brand from Autozone. I choose it because it looked well built and had fewer seams for crap to get in than the original or the cheaper ones. I've heard you get what you pay for with these motors.

Comment

replace the motor.
                2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

that was a BEAUTIFUL write up! ADMIN!!! that needs a big ol' sticky! vote for sticky raise your hand :wavey:
                  2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

ya i just replaced both mine and went to autozone for them..$55 a peice, ive heard bad things about the ebay ones not lasting long and if you go to autozone you get a warenty..

Comment

Good info, thanks!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X