SES Light (fuse)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES Light (fuse)

My SES light has never come on, ever, and i know there's been problems. I'm guessing there's a fuse for the light somewhere. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

-Kevin
    -Kevin<br /><a href=\"http://heinz.no-ip.com/Car%20Pics/IM000117.JPG\" target=\"_blank\"><b>\'96 White Camaro RS M5</b></a> <br />GTP Shortblock - T3/T4 -6psi Intercooled<br />Open Downpipe

Sorry would've responded earlier phone lines damaged in storms!Now to the chase,in my Haynes manual it appears to me from the wiring diagram that from '96 0n the ses (MIL) light is with the Engine controls fuse.On my '98 its on the drivers side engine compartment toward the front of car,it appears to be a 50 amp.Its marked "ENG CTRL".Hope that helps ,& who knows it may be possible that someone (prev. owner?) could have been having problems & did'nt want it revealed & took out the light?

Does the light come on momentarily when you first turn on the key to on or start,that will tell you if the bulb is in & or not burned out?
    geocor

Comment

what does the SES monitor?

87 Firebird RIP
      96 Camaro RS RIP
      94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
      02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Ses or Mil lamp ( same thing different terminology) is short for Malfunction indicator lamp.Ses=service engine soon, same thing but used on our F-bodys on the dashlight.It monitors most engine controll sensors & actuators.It gives, for instance, a threshold for monitoring missfires before the MIL(ses) is lit to indicate a problem there.On OBD2 it can monitor up to 13 engine related systems, but only 8 are common.OBD2 sys. are virtually on all cars manufactured after '95.Obd1 (before 1996)manufacturers used their own corporate sys.

On OBD2 ,3 sys. are monitored continuously:FUEL,COMPREHENSIVE,MISSFIRE.What this does when you retrieve malfunction codes from a "scanner" gives you a good (usually) idea of where the problem is occuring.

Some other sys. monitored could be catalyst,egr,O2's & their heaters ,etc.,up to 13 now, but probably more including telemetry in 2008 or so.

[ May 25, 2004, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: geocor ]
        geocor

Comment

I think that OBDII monitors more than just 13 functions. A/F is contiously monitored as well as most of the other engine sensors. OBDII can tell you if you have something like a transmission solenoid out as well...it covers literally over 1000 different possible car malfunctions.
          <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

You can look it up, 13 sys. now, 8 are common to all OBD2's.Can name all 13 if you wish.I agree each sys. can have many malfunctions,& codes reflect that.Under COMPREHENSIVE allmost every actuator & sensor is continuosly monitored by signals sent to ECM.For example of comprehensive monitoring :TCC,O2's,TPS,etc.
            geocor

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X