• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• filter removal tips? Need TQ!

anyone got any tips on how to remove an over-tightened
    oil filter? I usually just stick a screwdriver through it and it
    comes off, but this one just shredded.
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Re: filter removal tips? Need TQ!

Happened to me at beging of summer and I had to go buy a smaller adjustable wrench and pound it on and then take it off. Was a pain
    Originally posted by kala
    I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
    parting her out

Comment

there is like only a 1/4 of an inch (or less) screwed in, everything else just ripped off

Yea, I've had this happen b4
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

channel locks or a big pipe wrench?
        Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

I see this all the time at work, go and buy yourself a Filter Claw. They are like 2$ a Autozone. Works very well.

Comment

ONLY THE THREADS ARE ON THE OIL FILTER
            the rest of the oil filter has been shredded

Comment

I need a sledge

Comment

i been bashing on it for like an hour and a half
                and have only gained an inch

Comment

jesus christ sounds like a pita. i would of broken my windshield by now lol. try wedging a screwdriver on the gasket, just a thought

Comment

ya, i finally got it off! took me like 2 1/2 hours of beating the **** out of it (and my poor hand) with a sledge and screwdriver. I had to remove the filter holder and brace it with 10 cinder blocks!

I dont know what I would rather do, do a header swap (with heat shields),
                    or bash on this forever! lol

I broke the oil pressure sensor (dont know where it went either)

Comment

who wants to make a bet that I will never do that again
                      the oil filter wrench worked on getting it on and real tight
                      but wouldnt get any grip when trying to take it off

Comment

This exact same thing happened to me with my old Jeep. The filter wrench wouldn't get it off and using the screwdriver shredded it. In the course of trying to beat on it, I ended up slicing open one of my fingers real bad and blood was everywhere. My brother stopped over, and he got it off. He put on a thick winter glove (to protect his hand) and just reefed on it. It worked because there was enough space in the jeep. Not sure if that trick would work in the f-body.

I feel your pain man. Glad to hear you got it off.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

youre right, that **** is alot sharper than it looks! razor sharp or maybe sharper!
                          I cut myself twice, but thats a small price to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                            the oil filter wrench worked on getting it on and real tight
                            but wouldnt get any grip when trying to take it off
                            Hand tight is all you need when putting it on!
                            Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                            Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

my friends would vibrate off all the time
                              I broke my oil pressure sensor does anyone know where to find one?
                              besides the dealership or junkyard?
                              die thread die!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X