Noob to the F-body.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob to the F-body.

My girlfriends car actually. I was TRYING to take the valve covers off to replace the gaskets. Its a 97 3.8 V6 by the way. And I couldnt get to that back bolt on the passenger side. Is there a tutorial for this project. I finally got the bolt off after fighting with it for hours. BUT I couldnt get the valve cover off so i got pissed and put it back on. Well now its pouring out oil. Guessing I crimped it or it broke when I took it off. Also I think I knocked one of the plug wires off cause its missing i heard it clicking down where the wire would be IF I COULD SEE IT! I hate the designer of this car.... Please help me im in distress. Shes yelling at me now FIX MY CAR! lol. Thanks guys.

Re: Noob to the F-body.

You can see the spark plug wire "ARCing" or sparking during the night when its dark. That will tell you if its not plugged up or if it has a hole in the wire.

Sounds like you are talking about the driver's side valve cover? You probably have to take off more stuff to get to it (like: the ICM bracket).

I hate the designer too, there are alot of improvements I could make.
    But never the less it is a great design.
    Sports car sometimes means = engine is far back under the windshield cowl and hard to get to
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

No its the passenger side. I am taling about the bracket they use to pull out the engine. How do you get that off. Also I cant even see the spark plug wires lol I guess I will have to crawl under the car. I couldnt see it sparking but I moved the wire and it stopped clicking so I know thats what happened.

Comment

One of the bolts holding that bracket on also holds the Auto trans dipstick tube which makes the bolt removal very very difficult. (if you have an Auto Transmission)

Here's what I did. Got a big long drift (that's a piece of steel bar). Held the one end of the bar up to the bracket and hit the other end of the bar with a hammer. The impacts cause the bracket to bend towards the firewall. Keep bending the bracket in this manner until the bracket bends all the way to the firewall. Now you can remove the valve cover from the engine without the bracket interfering.

After you put the valve cover back on (with the new seal/gasket), grab the bracket with you hand and pull like a son of a b*tch. The bracket will bend back fairly close into postion. It doesn't have to be exactly where it was cause this bracket is not used for anything. Just make sure that you don't leave it bent in a position that is too close to, or touching the firewall.
        Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Thanks man I tried that but I couldnt bend it with the bar I had I guess I need a BIGGER HAMMER!!! Thats always a good way to fix stuff :)

Comment

it bent easy for me
            IDK try a sledge?
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Ya I had a small hammer. Tomorrow I will try Thanks guys for the help. This car is a pain lol.

Comment

haha ya i hate how there has to be all these little tricks just to get to most of the bolts on our cars.....o well though

Comment

I agree. I went to the hardware store to get a bar and a hammer and they were all wierd. I think they thought i was going to beat the crap out of someone. lmao. Anyway I changes the valve cover gaskets and I found out that there is a leak either the main rear seal or the intake seal. I replaced the wires cause it didnt come off it broke. That was a job in itself.

Comment

what wires?
                    you can reach your hand around back of the intakes too check for a leak (which I really highly doubt)

Comment

plug wires

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X