bottom end clank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottom end clank

ok, i origionally thought the light clanking i was hearing was coming from the top end, a lifter or something, but i stuck my head under my car while it was running today, and it def sounded more bottom end, like something lightly clanking around in there, this scares me, this is a very bad sign isnt it? i want to get a low mileage 3.8 to replace all the gaskets and some valvetrain parts and drop it in when i am ready

Re: bottom end clank

why tear apart a low mileage engine just to replace all gaskets? LoL
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

because i dont really feel like messing with gaskets ever again, and just for reassurance, its a hell of a lot easier when the motor isnt in the car imo

Comment

at least replace the rod bearings
        If you tear apart an engine to replace gaskets you gotta prime the oil pump.
        Which also means the rod bearings wont be lubed
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

i only plan to go as far as the heads, do i have to prime if thats all the further i go

Comment

oh, i thought you said you were going to "replace ALL the gaskets" ? ;)
            you only have to prime the oil pump if you take off the timing cover
            heads = top end
            I would try to find out exactly where the clank comes from, use a stethoscope, tube, or pipe.

Comment

well, i guess not ALL the gaskets, just a good majority of them , all the top end, and oil pan, the ones that commonly go with age

Comment

you have to disconnect the tranny and pull the engine (at least about 10") to change the oil pan gasket, its a biatch

Comment

youre not listening slow. he's going to replace the gaskets on the NEW motor, not the old one so the oil pan gasket wont be a problem.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                  http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                  Or this

Comment

sorry I'm ADD, half-way illiterate, and a 10 second short term memory.
                    Thats my excuse. To put it bluntly, I'm just a lil retarded

You're right, it would be a good idea to replace (on the new engine BTW):
                    1) oil pan gasket
                    2) oil pickup tube gasket
                    3) rear main gasket
                    4) maybe head gaskets or timing cover

Comment

yeah, thats pretty much what i was thinking, i thought about getting into bottom end a little and hone the cylinders and get new piston rings, but then i thought again and decided on a lower mileage motor that shouldnt really be an issue and probably not go any further than head gaskets, but yeah, i was def figuring on head and intake gaskets, pushrods, lifters, maybe springs, rear main, oil pan. and anything else i am forgetting at the moment, the motor i am looking at is from a 99, so i would have to use my intake manifold, so it at least has to come that far apart, and i think my water pump is pretty new in my motor, so i might throw that in the new one. but yeah, now i just need to find some directions on how to pull the motor, i have gm eSI, but it has nada on how to pull

Comment

get a haynes or chilton's (i recommend chilton's)
                        i would think pushrods and lifters are fine on a low mileage engine

Comment

i found the engine replacement section on eSI, pretty in depth, but also has GM tools, so a home mechanic's version might be better for some things, but this for the diagrams, and more in depth stuff might be better

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X