need help asap with my new brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help asap with my new brakes

I got new brake pads/shoes installed front (disks) and rear(drums) installed last tuesday or so. they are still squeeking which ive read can be normal for new brakes until they wear in. if thats so then fine, but i still have 2 more problems with them and im driving across country on tuesday for school.

first, if i brake more than a certain amount (which is not that much) they lock up and the abs kicks in. ive always been able to brake this much with no problem, but now this.

second, occasionally the rear drums make this loud sound that the best i can describe it is like the sound of a trumpet. i took it up yesterday and they took them off and cleaned them and put them back on. that fixed it for the rest of the day but today it started up again. the braking feels normal and im just wondering is this normalish for new drum shoes or what?

to top it off tomorow being labor day they are likely to be closed. and im going to have all my stuff in the car to put more stress on the brakes
    Last edited by Gerbonium; 09-03-2006, 06:57 PM.

Re: need help asap with my new brakes

i didnt really read your post but you should break them in properly
    via the right procedure (it will make them last longer too)
    I can find the link if ya want
    p.s. I hate it when stores are closed on special occasions, those special occasions are the only time I'm free to work on the car
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

well i found a few sites saying proper break in. all slightly different but samd idea. that is

doing light to moderate braking from 30-35 mph 5-10 times with about 1/3 mile between each time braking.

did that and it didnt get better, in fact it got wose. im letting them cool down right now and then see how it goes again.

Comment

there were alot more steps than that
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I dont know, that was what i found.

anybody else have any ideas?

Comment

If the ABS is kicking in without slippery roads or under hard braking, then a sensor is probably bad and activating it when you don't need it. Have it scanned to see which sensor needs replacement.

As for the drum brakes:
            They suck! Go to disk brakes ASAP!!
            If you're keeping the drums, try replacing the two retainer springs that hold the drum brakes to the backing plates. If they are worn out, they can cause the brake shoes to vibrate and make all kinds of noises.
            sigpic

Comment

I had a 95 firebird convertible and those ****ty rear drum brakes caused me two accidents,
              only thing certain is death,<br />when I squeeze ten, i\'ma watch all of em jerk in ya chest<br />they wanna talk about peace<br />i\'ma piss in the dirt, <br />spit in the flowers, <br />**** if he rests

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyman
                If you're keeping the drums, try replacing the two retainer springs that hold the drum brakes to the backing plates. If they are worn out, they can cause the brake shoes to vibrate and make all kinds of noises.
                I second both those, but I would recommend purchasing the spring "kit" for the drum brakes. It contains replacements for all the springs for both sides and it ends up being nearly the same price (last time I did a brake job it was about $6-$8 at O'Reilly Auto Parts).

Comment

thank god this isnt the 50's... everything had drums front AND rear :eek:
                  2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

i went back up to the place that installed them and they said it was either the springs or the cylinder in the drums. they replaced both and now they are working fine. charged me for parts only too :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gerbonium
                      charged me for parts only :)
                      thats great they didn't try to rip you off and charge labor.

Originally posted by this is america bytch
                      I had a 95 firebird convertible and those ****ty rear drum brakes caused me two accidents,
                      How did drums make you have 2 accidents?
                      Originally posted by kala
                      I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
                      parting her out

Comment

I wouldnt worry. I got the hawk pads and brand new rotors and the shop that did mine rebuilt the calipers and everything. They squak like no other and when I brake it sounds like my rear pads are eating the metal off of my rotors but i dont care the stopping power is amazing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X