bolts braking noob question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolts braking noob question

Hey guys here is a stupid problem I have when I work on something with my car or somone elses car. When I put somethign on I seem to usualy break off a bolt or stud. I think its because Im afraaid of not gettting smething tight enough and something leaking on me. Like a couple of weeks ago I did a tune up on my gf new car which is a 99 Grand Am SE. I broke off 2 heads on the trans pan. I know many of you will say go buy a good set of Craftsman torque wrenches or somehtin like that. Relly what is a good rule of thumb to keep from doing this many more times?

IM a NOOBIE!!!, lol
    01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
    AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
    www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
    www.vaperz.com
    PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Re: bolts braking noob question

stop working on things until you buy a torque wrench. They are not even expensive. it seems you are not able to grasp the fell. Even professionals break things but you talk as if it is very often.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

use a shorter socket wrench
      just make sure its snug, not tight
      I've broken many bolts in my time, I still overtorque alot of things which is really bad!
      You may think that under-torqueing things it may leak, well if you over-torque things it will have the same amount of chance that an overtorqued bolt will cause a leak.

Get a torque wrench
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

yeah torque it. overtorqueing is even worse for leaks cuz you warp the mating surfaces which will create gaps. then you'll think it isnt tight enuf and then wrench it down some more. def get a torque stick and a haynes manual or sumthing to get the specs. just cuz it isnt printed doesnt mean anything, there is a spec for EVERY fastener in the car.
        2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Yea I am also afradid of over torquing. I have a manual fo rmy bird but for hre Grand Am I cant seem to find one at the many local parts stores we have around. I just figured on some things that snuging isnt enough so I tighten things a bit more. Mainly on the things that have gaskets involved. Never really thoguth of warping the gasket material by over torquing them.
          www.vaperz.com

Comment

warping the gasket material isn't the issue, it's you warping the metal permanently which is pretty easy to do.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Oh well my bad, I got it backward. LOL. Ill try to snug things more now than to over torque or tighten.
              www.vaperz.com

Comment

diferent parts require different technique.

keep in mind the difference in metals as well as the 'purpose' of the part. when bolting up soft sheet metal parts like a transmission pan you need an overall snug fit so as to form a good 'sealed' mating surface with the gasket in between able to hold back fluids.
                when you install a starter.... snug won't work. snug will not work on head bolts or rocker arm bots either, etc.

you want a manual. you need a manual. you can find torque ratings and recommendations in a manual. you can also find torque sequences and techniques in a manual.

good luck. patience is your friend. torque wrenches, torque specs and experience are also you friends. good luck. congrats for having the cahoonas to break out your own wrenches.
                01 Firebird A4 3.42
                Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                and other mods
                Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
                  I broke off 2 heads on the trans pan.
                  I think the bolts on our auto trannies are supposed to be like 13ft/lbs. Which is just a little over finger tight. It keeps the gasket from working right.

Rob
                  \"A one that isn\'t cold, is scarcely a one at all\" <a href=\"http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html\" target=\"_blank\">Strongbad</a>

Comment

what used to be wrong with me is I would tighten a bolt really snug then subconciously I'd be thinking what if it rattles out or something, so I go JUST THAT EXTRA 1 EASY TURN and the bolt breaks right off! Its always just that last easy turn that does it
                    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
                      Hey guys here is a stupid problem I have when I work on something with my car or somone elses car. When I put somethign on I seem to usualy break off a bolt or stud. I think its because Im afraaid of not gettting smething tight enough and something leaking on me. Like a couple of weeks ago I did a tune up on my gf new car which is a 99 Grand Am SE. I broke off 2 heads on the trans pan. I know many of you will say go buy a good set of Craftsman torque wrenches or somehtin like that. Relly what is a good rule of thumb to keep from doing this many more times?

IM a NOOBIE!!!, lol
                      I have done probibly 100s of tranny services and when you over tighten a tranny pan bolt the gasket squeezes out from between the pan and housing. Didnt you think you where overtightning when the gasket started squeezing out ?

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                        what used to be wrong with me is I would tighten a bolt really snug then subconciously I'd be thinking what if it rattles out or something, so I go JUST THAT EXTRA 1 EASY TURN and the bolt breaks right off! Its always just that last easy turn that does it

Yea that sounds like more of what I do .

Ace: The gasket never came bulging out, but I understand what you mean.

Besides I didnt do this on my Firebird. It was on my gf's Grand Am.
                        www.vaperz.com

Comment

Another torque wrench vote. There's no easy rule that says these bolts get snugged or those bolts get cranked on.

Even the $20 harbor freight ones are good enough for most everything you do.
                          Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

the $12 - $35 harbor freight are accurate within ~4%
                            but there can be many other factors that change that

Comment

Yeah I've broken a lot of bolts also. I'm doing plugs on my car this week for the first time. What torque wrench do you all recommend for that?
                              <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X