Cold weather = loud whining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather = loud whining

whenever i start my engine cold when it is less than 40 degrees outside, i get a LOUD whining sound coming from the motor. Sounds kinda like a dry psteering pump, but the pump is full. noise dies off as the engine warms up. While its cold, the whining gets louder with the RPM's. also, while turning cold, the steering pump starts whining really loud. got a rebuilt pump last sping. any suggestions? should i be worried, or does teh 3800 make alotta noise? (i know all cars kinda whine when they are cold, but this is REALLY loud.) thanks in advance!
    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Mine doesn't make that sound when it's cold out. Sounds like the fluid isn't flowing properly to through the power steering lines.
    sigpic

Comment

a water pump will make noise as its starting to go out.. the bearings will wine when the engine just starts up and the noise will gradually trail off as it heats up. probably a few minutes later the noise would stop. my car does this on occasion too..
      Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

haha well this is a good excuse then to put in that electric water pump then...
        2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

Just make sure thats what is whining before ya do anything, but ya good excuse for a electric pump haha.
          1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
          Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

but lemme ask, y does it seem to get louder when i turn the wheel? got the pump and rack and pinion unit replaced this summer so i cant imagine they'd died on me so soon...

Comment

My power steering whines too but only when it has been SUPER cold and sitting awile.

ITs jsut the principles of the viscoscity of the fluid. ITs simply going to whine for a few minutes. If it does'nt give you any problems i would'nt put too much thought into it.
              3.8L Dk Blue 1998 Camaro<br /><br />Soon to have 80\'s in the back

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X