Charging problem with my 3.4L to MGB conversion - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging problem with my 3.4L to MGB conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging problem with my 3.4L to MGB conversion

I finally got my 3.4L SFI conversion (1995 Camaro engine) running n my 1980 MGB. I'm really pleased with the performance and driveability. It's exactly what I was hoping for. This car weighs about 1,000 pounds less than the stock Camaro.

A big issue I'm having is that the alternator is not charging. I'm using the stock Camaro PCM and a modified main harness. The alternator is for a 1995 Saturn SL-2. I'm using this since I had been using it on the old MGB engine.

A single red wire hooks to the 4-pin connector on top of the alternator. It is connected to the pin that is located as the second one from the passenger's fender. A 4-gauge wire then runs from the power post on the alternator to the starter post where the positive battery cable is connected. The alternator body is grounded quite well to the alternator bracket and to the engine.

I removed the alternator and had it tested at Advance Auto Parts. It seemed to charge fine. The tester di show that the "Diode Trio" light on the tester was illuminated , but he said it was supposed to be off. We took a new unit from his stock and it showed the same "diode trio" condition. I assue that this means that my alternator shuld be okay.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot and get the charging system working?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Last edited by DAL3.4; 08-29-2006, 07:31 AM.

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X