Battery, or something electrical messed - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery, or something electrical messed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery, or something electrical messed

Hey Guys, not to sure if this is where I should put this, BUT, here we go anyways.

Im at a party last night, and a buddy needs a boost, so I bring the 'Maro over, and hook up the cables, and he turns it over, starts, and hes on his way. I turn my car off, and go back to the fire.

I go to start my car to get it heated up in the morning, and all I get is "Click Click Click Click" not even turning over, its trying to, but its not happening. At this time, my voltage is in the bottom red, like 8 amps or whatever is down there.

I get someone to boost me (we hooked on the top posts)(kinda ironic hey, boosting someone else, and now Im the one that needs the boost) he tries, but it wont go, I still get click click click, but he revvs his engine to about 3000 RPM, and I get enough voltage, so I turn it over, and it fires.

Im thinkin, ok, maybe I left a light or something on.

I get back to town, shut my car off at the gas station, and when I go back to start it up, I get the damn click click click again. Dad comes to boost me, so we can at least get her home.

He hooks on to the side posts, and I try to turn it over, but nothing. We try for about half an hour, then we leave with no luck.

Dad gets an idea, so we go back, and he hooks the negative terminal on the top post and then the postive on a kinda rack thing that the postive line feeds to. (My amps and other crap are hooked into it) And what do you know, we get the voltage up, and she fires.

I bring her home, clean the terminals up (postive had a fair bit of corrosion on it) and clean that connection junction where my amps are hooked into.

I try to boost it both ways it had worked before, but I have no luck, so I give up for a bit (dads at a car show by now in his 'Vette about 3.5 hours away)

I call a good friend/mechanic over, and he brings his battery charger.

HE hooks up with 400 Amps (which should be PLENTY enough to boost the car) but it doesnt do anything, still that damn click click click.

Thats all I screwd around with it today.

He said it could be possibly a pooched battery (which Im going to try tomorrow) or the starter could be kinda ciezed in an "On" position, so it wont think the car is off, and need to try to start it (I dont think this is right though, because it had boosted twice before)

So, Im really hoping/leaning towards the battery, but I figured I should post up here and see if any of your guys know what could be going on.

Thanks in advance, and if this is in the wrong section, please move it to the right area.

Re: Battery, or something electrical messed

This should be posted in general tech. Did you make sure terminals aren't loose? I had problems like that before and I finally figured out that the loose terminals were causing that.
    <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

yeah, the negative terminal was loose, but when I cleaned the terminals, I got them both tight into the battery

Comment

problably the battery

It sounds exactly like a loose terminal but if you checked them, it could be the battery post, try a differnt battery from another car.
        K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Comment

Yea your battery might be pooping on ya. Try a new one or another from a spare car.
          http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Go to walmart get you a new battery.
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

and next time, put the negative cable of the boosted car on something metal on the engine, not the negative post :)
              2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Interesting though that it died in pretty much one night, without it getting real cold out. Once you get a battery that has decent voltage, I would check for a short. All you have to do is make sure everything in the car is turned off, and then hook up an amp meter in series with the positive battery terminal. There should be a minimal current draw, maybe 100 milliamps or something, due to the computer, radio, clock, etc. But if it shows that you are drawing a lot (like 1 amp or more) then you have problems. Then you start pulling fuses to narrow down which circuit has the short. This happened to me once and it ended up being a bad alternator. Maybe jumping that guy's car fried your alternator. A 1 amp draw overnight will kill your battery.
                2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

hey guys, I tried the battery from dad's vette (A damn big battery too) but none the less, it worked, so, I made a deal with a friend yesterday, and now I have a new-used battery for $20 (I know, I know, used batterys, Ixnay, but it has to last me less then a month, then Im getting a minivan)

Reguardless the Camaro is back up and running, so Im grabbing 10 loonies and going to wash her (I hate party's down backroads)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X