Don't bleed abs system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't bleed abs system?

This has to do with any car equipped with abs. My sister in law's car needs to have its rear brakes replaced...pads, rotors, and calipers. A guy I know who did this to his car (Chrysler Cirrus) said after he was done he went through pads in a month because they were sticking. He said he went on line and found out that only a dealer or a qualified mechanic can bleed a abs equipped brake system, because otherwise the system will be out of balance and cause premature pad failure. He said there is a specific procedure they need to follow in order to keep the abs system properly balanced. This does not sound right to me. My sister in law's car is a Toyota Camry. Does anyone have any incite as to whether or not the average back yard mechanic can properly bleed a brake system after installing calipers? Is that dealer only thing a bunch of crap?

Re: Don't bleed abs system?

Bleeding the ABS requires the ability to access the computer to command it to do so. Most back yard mechanics can not. It is an important thing to have done also.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
      Bleeding the ABS requires the ability to access the computer to command it to do so. Most back yard mechanics can not. It is an important thing to have done also.
      So...After I install the new calipers, pads, and rotors I have to take her Camry to a dealer/mechanic who can properly bleed the system?

Comment

yes..

Comment

what? I bled my brakes when I changed all four rotors and pads about 4 years ago. No computer usage needed, I just bought a $10 brake bleeding kit and went around the corners. There are tricks to it, but its not complicated, just time consuming. And its a two person job.

Besides, if you open the hydraulic system to change the calipers you introduce air. Which causes bubbles, which lowers the pressure. So after you change the calipers you will have no brakes, your foot will just hit the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCoffee
            what? I bled my brakes when I changed all four rotors and pads about 4 years ago. No computer usage needed, I just bought a $10 brake bleeding kit and went around the corners. There are tricks to it, but its not complicated, just time consuming. And its a two person job.

Besides, if you open the hydraulic system to change the calipers you introduce air. Which causes bubbles, which lowers the pressure. So after you change the calipers you will have no brakes, your foot will just hit the floor.
            I am going to bleed the rear brakes when I finish installing new parts, but I was told that by doing it yourself you screw up the balance of the abs system. This (i am told) will make the car use up the pads quicker. I'll bleed it myself, but then take it to a delaer/mechanic who can then do it "properly". So far, though, there is 1 guy telling me you do have to do this and one guy saying you don't. Anybody else know for sure about this. This was news to me also, that's why I figured somebody on the board would know for sure.
            Last edited by jrschultz; 08-26-2006, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I just noticed BllDogg is a GM tech...I suppose he would know for sure. BllDogg, could you go into details as to why its necessary to have a certified mechanic do this?

Comment

i have a vacula... thing works awesome!.. cost is around 100 dollars depeneding on where you get it... but any idiot can bleed brakes in minutes, by themselves.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VACUL...spagenameZWDVW

i dont know about the abs system though, i have bled the brakes on an abs system with that without any problems.. probably not the case on all cars.
                Last edited by StrtRacer98; 08-26-2006, 05:35 PM.
                *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by jrschultz
                  I just noticed BllDogg is a GM tech...I suppose he would know for sure. BllDogg, could you go into details as to why its necessary to have a certified mechanic do this?
                  OK, the thing is, since the hydraulic system was opened to air, there is a chance that air was introduced to the abs part of the system. Since it is not a GM vehicle, I do not know exactly how the system is lined in and if it really could have gotten into the abs unit but why risk it you know? you don't want her to have an ABS braking situation happen and it works poorly because you or I can't be sure it didn't get in there causing her to have an avoidable accident. Could it be fine, yes but when I work on brakes at work, no matter what, if I open the system I bleed everything including the ABS because I want to provide the best quality work I can do. So, to sum it up, bleed it well and decide if you want to pay for someone to bleed the system. Hell, for all I know, Toyota's don't have a separate bleeding procedure and you could have taken care of the whole thing and we could be talking for no reason. Why have a certified technician at a dealer do it? because he will be the best trained to work on your sisters car and brakes are a very vital part of a vehicles control and safety.

Comment

Interesting that they moved this from lounge to general tech. I thought ths was for general tech of only Camaros/Firebirds...Oh well. I guess I'll just call a Toyota mechanic to be sure. Thanx for the help guys.

Comment

well it is still a topic for this forum. Thinking about it even more, I wouldn't doubt if a tech at the dealer tells you you will be fine. I tend to be cautious.

Comment

yea, brakes are one of those things, that it's better to spend a few bucks and have an expert opinion... If you screw up most things, your car won't go, which sucks, but isn't dangerous, with brakes it's dangerous... take the safe route, b/c it's one of those things that you REALLY don't want to regret doing wrong.
                        Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                        Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X